K2, Zoo or ijoomla Publisher to create my website magazine?

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
keithstoddart
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

K2, Zoo or ijoomla Publisher to create my website magazine?

Post by keithstoddart » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Any advice or comments will be much appreciated.

I am in the process of building a magazine website and I would like to know which software I should use for it?

I am using 2.5 and where I do like Zoo I wonder if it is the best for articles and stuff. I suppose I don't understand the difference between Zoo and K2. I am also considering ijoomla Publisher.

As I say ALL comments and advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance. :)

iextensions
I've been banned!

Re: K2, Zoo or ijoomla Publisher to create my website magazi

Post by iextensions » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:20 pm

K2 is also good.

PolishedGeek
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by PolishedGeek » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:43 pm

What features and requirements are you looking for in the magazine? That might help us guide you better. You can do an awful lot of nice article work now in the Joomla 3.1 version, so you may not even need a CCK. Depends on what you are trying to achieve.
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO of Polished Geek
Joomla! web development, extensions and custom integration
Visit us at http://PolishedGeek.com
Follow us at https://Twitter.com/PolishedGeek

keithstoddart
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by keithstoddart » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Thank you both for coming back to me. Basically, I am looking to do a couple of different magazines, one local and one international.
They are really quite simple magazines. Each will have around 20 articles with maybe a good business directory and menu for recipes and stuff. That is why I looked at purchasing Zoo as they seem to have that conquered, but once I got into it I found it quite restrictive as far as positioning articles and layout was concerned (it could be me of course!). I also want to be able to have adverts so I can try and monetise them. I would also like to have it laid out properly too and I find K2 too much work to get it right - an 'out of the box' solution would be good there. So, I suppose I am not after anything really special as far as functionality concerned so I suppose just to look good and be easily read on all platforms (mobile, desktop, tablet etc.).
I did load up V3 just after it came out and haven't really gone back to it. Maybe I should and see what I can do.
Thanks again for advice.
Kind regards
keith

jeanreid
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jeanreid » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi Keith,
I'm also about to construct an online local community magazine with advertisements & directory. Could you let me know what you end up going with?
Cheers,
Jean

keithstoddart
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by keithstoddart » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:54 pm

jeanreid wrote:Hi Keith,
I'm also about to construct an online local community magazine with advertisements & directory. Could you let me know what you end up going with?
Cheers,
Jean
Hi Jean
One of my magazines is too a community magazine that will have ads and a directory. So I hope I find out soon as I want to get this going. Where are you based? We might be able to help each other, sharing problems/successes etc.
Cheers
Keith

keithstoddart
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by keithstoddart » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:59 pm

PolishedGeek wrote:What features and requirements are you looking for in the magazine? That might help us guide you better. You can do an awful lot of nice article work now in the Joomla 3.1 version, so you may not even need a CCK. Depends on what you are trying to achieve.
Hi Polished. I tried 3.1 and I am afraid it just went all to pot! A good template from Joomla designs which was v3 compatible still wouldn't work properly. Simple things like the presentation was going wonky and wrapping text around pics went funny too. So I resorted back to 2.5, using the same template and it is fine.

I still don't know what to use. I am persevering with K2 but when I fix one problem there seems to be another appear!!

Pity you couldn't get K2 and Zoo rolled into one! Would be great.

I will keep this forum up to date.

Cheers
Keith

tobypsl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tobypsl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:32 pm

I've been using ZOO for several years - in conjunction with the JBZOO app (which is now easier to use than before) it offers some great functionality. The support from ZOO absolutely stinks. It's truly horrific. As if they actually have genuine contempt for their users. But there's no mistake the products are pretty good.

The JBZOO support on the other hand is outstanding - they are probably in the top 5% in this respect. Funnily enough the JBZOO is half the price of the pro ZOO version and can be used on multiple sites with a single license (if you use the older version).

Other 3rd Party ZOO apps which provide the most basic of functionality - the type of functionality that I really believe ought to be available natively in the app - can be pretty expensive. This has been quite a frustration with ZOO. But the advanced JBZOO functionality suffices for me.

I've only recently started poking around with K2 because it was installed on a client site by a designer who had issues integrating it with a 3rd party website. I haven't enough experience of K2 to make a comparison with ZOO but from what I saw I'm not inclined to look much further just yet.

Whether you go with native ZOO or the superior JBZOO it's worth installing the demo content so you can get a feel for the structure of the extension and get over the learning curve of templates, apps, types and items etc.

rosyvu
I've been banned!

Post by rosyvu » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:13 am

Check out the topic and see some pros and cons of developers http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 4&start=30
Personally, I would recommend K2 for magazine sites/blogs
User banned for hard self promotion.

tobypsl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tobypsl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:30 pm

but, rosyvu, the latest post on that thread appears to be 18 months old so the comments are not necessarily accurately reflecting how things are now.

rosyvu
I've been banned!

Post by rosyvu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:05 am

tobypsl,
Although this article is old, I still recommend K2 for magazine sites
User banned for hard self promotion.

tobypsl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tobypsl » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:26 am

Hi rosyvu - if you are a K2 user it might help those of us who aren't if you can tell us what it is that gives it the edge ? The last post in the thread suggests that K2 can be troublesome when it comes to customising the presentation of articles.

keithstoddart
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by keithstoddart » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:14 am

Firstly, sorry I haven't been monitoring this post. Although tobypsl is correct in saying it is an old post, it is still relevant.
I eventually doinked the idea of setting up my magazines (or at least put it on hold) as it was becoming too time consuming and as I still needed to earn a living I needed to get back into work.
However, never say never and it is something I still want to pursue. I did purchase ijoomla Publisher and I am afraid it just didn't work (for me anyway). Their support left something to be desired and I just felt once they received my dosh they weren't really interested.
There are now other new extensions coming out which I am sure will improve the layout and feel of a magazine website.
Once I get back into it I will post my findings.
Thanks again for your inputs.

tobypsl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tobypsl » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:58 am

The major issue I've run up against in using ZOO is that it just isn't supported by many other components - without paying extra for plugins from the ZOO community. Ultimately the cost of running ZOO can easily escalate. In this respect it seems K2 is much better positioned. And I guess it will take a while for new components to be supported by the Joomla developer community.

wildboybk
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wildboybk » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Im using K2 for my page news http://www.xiaomiviet.vn so good

edmaxsk
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by edmaxsk » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:30 pm

I recommend K2 for magazine sites