Text is inserted into website if accessed from Google Search

Discussion regarding Joomla! 2.5 security issues.

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant / FPA - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
fgingras
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Text is inserted into website if accessed from Google Search

Post by fgingras » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:24 pm

I am the administrator for a public k-12 school district using Joomla as our district website CMS. It has worked fine for years, but within the last 24 hours it has been reported to me that some users are seeing spam-like code inserted into our site. In trying to reproduce the error I have narrowed it down to the Google Search app for iPhone and Android and some Firefox users who use Google to search for the site and click on the district site from the search results.. If they enter the url of our site, or use other browsers, they will not see the text.

Google Search Terms: Hermitage School District
District URL: www.hermitage.k12.pa.us OR www.hickoryhornets.com

I have looked at our site articles in the backend interface and even in our database tables and I cannot see why or what is causing the text to appear.

We are currently using a Linux server (Ubuntu 4.04) and have applied all updates.

Any help would be appreciated.

Frank

montano
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Text is inserted into website if accessed from Google Se

Post by montano » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Look for files that have been modified or are new. It appears to be a base64 hack

Return to “Security in Joomla! 2.5”