installing a site from just site files and db (not Backup)

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Honda-Mini
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

installing a site from just site files and db (not Backup)

Post by Honda-Mini » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:02 pm

hi... i'm brand new to this Joomla! lark so please bear with me :)

i've been given a website to manage and it was created with Joomla! 2.5 i guess.

i am trying to get it up and running on my MBP using mamp

i have managed to get both joomla 2.5 and 3.3.1 up and running and am presuming the site needs installing in the same way, i.e. as a separate instance of joomla, so with its own folder in htdocs.

thing is, the files i have been given have no installation folder. when i first placed the folder in htdocs and pointed the configuration.php to the correct database, i got a completely blank page, so i went down the route of eventually removing all tables from the db so it was clean (in fact i deleted it and then recreated it through myPhp), deleting the configuration file and copying the installation folder from 2.5.9. it went through install but wont go past step 6, just keeps refreshing the main configuration panel when i click next... so, any ideas guys please? lol

below is a grab of the site files and where i'm stuck at

thanks in advance

Martyn
Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 16.54.49.png
Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 15.25.01.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: installing a site from just site files and db (not Backu

Post by imanickam » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:14 pm

(a) There is no need to install Joomla! to copy a Joomla! site. The files in the back-up along with sub-directories are indeed files from the Joomla! original installation.

(b) If the files you have got are from a Joomla! site that was working, there will not be a directory named installation.

(c) To restore the original site, copy the files along with sub-directories to an appropriate directory and change the file configuration.php to reflect the correct tmp & log paths and to change the database information (e.g., database name, server name, user name to the database, and the password for the database).

(d) Of course you know how to create the database from the original site. Make sure that you create a user to the database and assign all privileges to that user. The username of this user has to be reflected in the file configuration.php.

Review of the document http://docs.joomla.org/Copying_a_Joomla_website would be of help.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Honda-Mini
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Honda-Mini » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:29 pm

thanks for the reply :)

a) i get that, the joomla installs were just to see if it worked, which it did, because the site in question just gave a blank screen, front end or back end

b) yup, got that premise too :)

c) done that... many many times now to no avail

d) db was created by creating a fresh db in myPhp then importing the tables from the original sql file to the new db... i am guessing this would be correct?

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by imanickam » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:00 am

Honda-Mini wrote:d) db was created by creating a fresh db in myPhp then importing the tables from the original sql file to the new db... i am guessing this would be correct?
Yes, it is correct. However, make sure that you create a new user and GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES to that user. For this user, make sure to get the username and the password from the file configuration.php. Alternatively, you have to update the file configuration.php with the new username and password.

Are you getting any error in the error log?

What is your site's URL?

By any chance, is there a file named index.htm or index.html in the directory where Joomla! site files are?

Hope you are clearing the directory before copying the files.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”