Unable to login to Joomla Admin in at new hosting service

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
stevenjs
I've been banned!

Unable to login to Joomla Admin in at new hosting service

Post by stevenjs » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Greetings,

We are attempting to set up our Joomla site at a new hosting service in 'preview' mode, that is, without having the domain name pointing to the new servers until we know everything is set up properly.

We have had some help under another topic [ http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 3#p3190453 ], and now at least we can access the Joomla Admin login on the new host, but none of the username / password combinations we have will open the Admin interface. The hosting service calls this 'a Joomla problem' and refuses to address it. And we are clueless how to reset the Joomla Admin login in the preview site.

From all the attempted logins that have failed, I am now getting a message from the Joomla Admin login screen that I will soon be blocked unless I use the Joomla login reset function. What is that? Where is that? Don't I have to be already logged in to do that??

Because our Admin site is in "preview," that is, the domain is not pointing there yet, is there something else we need to do to access our Admin site in this case?

Thank you for your help!

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Unable to login to Joomla Admin in at new hosting servic

Post by itoctopus » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Check the logs and the tmp variables in your configuration.php file, most likely they are pointing to the wrong place.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 pm

You have access to FTP and the database (PHPmyAdmin)?

stevenjs
I've been banned!

Post by stevenjs » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:07 pm

@ itoctopus This is what the config file has for log and tmp:

public $log_path = '/home/nineinchbride/public_html/log';
public $tmp_path = '/home/nineinchbride/public_html/tmp';

Is that what you are referring to? I wonder what should it be instead? This is the URL to the Joomla admin login: http://23.229.170.177/administrator/index.php and this is the URL to the site itself: http://23.229.170.177/

I tried changing the path to just /log and /tmp since those folders are at the same level as the config file, no luck, just a 500 error. You are likely on the right path where SOMETHING needs adjusting in the config file, but what exactly?

@waarnemer Yes, I have FTP.

For whatever it may be worth, these are the exact error messages upon each login attempt: "It was noticed that one or more of your login attempts have recently failed. When trying again, you will soon be blocked. It is therefore recommended that you use the functionality to reset your password!" and "Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet."

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:56 am

I don't know a reset function other than doing things manually.. (i use PHPmyAdmin to access the MySQL tables for editing)

http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_recov ... assword%3F

method 2.

But there maybe an extension running causing this extra layer of security? Based on IP, cookies, sessions...

websken
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by websken » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:01 am

I m the newer one and hope u all will support me.

stevenjs
I've been banned!

Post by stevenjs » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:08 pm

@ waarnemer I can see the username and PW in the config file, so I am inclined to believe it is not a PW reset issue. Using the login shown in the config file produces the login error same as any other login.

@ itoctopus How should I change the config file?

Any other ideas, anyone?

Thanks.

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by itoctopus » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:40 pm

The username and the password in the configuration.php file are not those for the admin login, they are the db username and password. Maybe that's the problem?

You will need to set the logs and the tmp (in the config file) to their actual physical paths on the server.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

stevenjs
I've been banned!

Post by stevenjs » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 pm

@ itoctopus Okay, thanks. Where would I find the 'real' username and pw? It should be the same as at the live site's Joomla Admin, right? Since I didn't change it. But that produces the following error:

500 - An error has occurred.
View not found [name, type, prefix]: reset, html, usersView

Whatever that signifies. Do you know?

The actual physical paths on the server would be as mentioned before, no? If the log and tmp folders are on the same level as the config file, then the actual physical path should simply be "/log" and "/tmp" shouldn't it? As mentioned, this does not help. Please advise.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:59 am

from your hosting provider you should have received details for your mySQL database
  • l
  • ocation: (url or 'localhost')
  • username:
  • password:
  • database name:
these should be in your configuration.php

These are not the admin access credentials. As described in the link I provided, for that you either add some line to configuration.php to make a temporary bypass, or you make changes to the table in the database as described. After which you change the password in admin again.

But as your site warns you about the locking you out, you may have an extension running as an extra line of defense which went wrong...
For instance I do have AdminExile.. it logs attempts from IP addresses... too many wrong attempts -> lock out... as it mentions a reset function it probably is another extension.... someone?
If you have access to your database, you could check the _extensions table for extensions (plugins?) capable of doing so... you could then change the value in "enabled" for that extension to disabled (0)

As iOctopus correctly comments.... also do check the paths in your configuration as well... as you moved your site from one to the other host... a lot of traces from the old may be in there...

stevenjs
I've been banned!

Post by stevenjs » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Trying to get back to this after a month's delay, I am simply overwhelmed with all of this. I haven't made any changes to the database user name or PW, are you saying they would automatically change these knowing a site was transferred from another host?

Is there any source for paid professional Joomla assistance which can just go in and fix the problem, whatever it is????

Or, better still, can anyone recommend a truly customer service friendly and reliable web hosting company whose support staff will deal with Joomla setup issues specifically?

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:21 am

Well, it is a Joomla issue... but still,

can you write down you exact steps to the point you get the message of
It was noticed that one or more of your login attempts have recently failed. When trying again, you will soon be blocked. It is therefore recommended that you use the functionality to reset your password!" and "Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet.
cos when I try and login with some phony credentials for a hundred times or more i just get a "500". No message.
That is on your new server.

Now when I look at your existing domain.. when trying to access administrator I get a popup message for to login before I can even login in admin panel.
This is a brute force attack protection. Either you or your host did set it.

If you copied your old site to the new location, check for traces in the administrator folder (.htaccess/.htpasswd)

Also you can check your root .htaccess file.. (make backup and replace with joomla supplied version)

stevenjs
I've been banned!

Post by stevenjs » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks for the thought, but you are speaking a language I do not understand.

"Traces" of what?? what is .htaccess/.htpasswd / root .htaccess ??

Kindly ignore the existing server/site, yes there is an extra protection, but this is no longer on the new/test server--we've already been around that bush and fixed that!

Really, so sorry, but the 'help' here is an incomprehensible nightmare...sorry.

I really need a different hosting service, one I can call up and say "fix this, new hosting service!"

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Really, so sorry, but the 'help' here is an incomprehensible nightmare...sorry.
I really need a different hosting service, one I can call up and say "fix this, new hosting service!"
Well the terminology is pretty common for the average webmaster. That all has not much to do with Joomla or whatever other CMS out there.

You really need someone who does it for you. Get a webmaster and sysadmin.

Rochen is doing the hosting of the joomla sites.
Siteground is the one Joomla partners with on the demo.
But you can always google on "Joomla Hosting" see where it leads to.

stevenjs
I've been banned!

Post by stevenjs » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:51 am

I am not a webmaster, thanks. I co-manage the site, and none of us are 'web masters,' instead like most we use Joomla precisely for that very reason, the same reason many opt for Wordpress, a content management system "anyone" can use.

Unfortunately, a whole different set of problems apparently arise when you migrate a Joomla site to another server. It seems these problems are NOWHERE addressed and getting help with them opens an impossible can of worms for the typical Joomla user.

This forum would do well to put some focus on these and related Joomla site transition problems and do so in a manner the non-webmaster-guru can understand and act upon. Communication that fails to communicate or miscommunicates is worse than none at all.

There is some simple thing, I feel sure, that will enable me to log in to my own admin on a new hosting service that is not rocket science.

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:46 am

You can try of course..

But if you can move files and folders from one to the other server I figured you must be capable of renaming and replacing an .htaccess file too.
That indeed is no rocket science.

If you just copied your files from one to the other you may also copy traces of stuff which should not be copied.
You used Akeeba to move right? Akeeba makes a backup so it will take traces also

You have a message when attempting to login which does not originate from Joomla.
As I asked before can you write down you exact steps to the point you get the message of;
It was noticed that one or more of your login attempts have recently failed. When trying again, you will soon be blocked. It is therefore recommended that you use the functionality to reset your password!" and "Username and password do not match or you do not have an account yet.
I want to see if I can get to the same message and find out what it is.
Cos my guess... if you are gonna copy this to another host you may run in to the same issue as the crap still may be in your files and folders.

By the way; the forum is filled with user experiences on migrations and moves, so is docs.joomla.org.
The forum is a forum.. people post their questions, comments and answers. It is a forum, not an organised tutorial and howtoo repository... all people here do this on their own spare time. Unpaid, just giving. Be happy we concern and try to help you solve your problem.
Last edited by waarnemer on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevenjs
I've been banned!

Post by stevenjs » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:55 am

Blah, blah, blah. Sooo sorry, but if you are here to make demonstrations and protestations of "helping" [oh, my!] instead of problem solving, which you are plainly unable to do in plain English, then you should do Joomla and this forum a favor and stop "trying" and start problem solving.

How silly, I do not care about this message you mention. What is the matter with you? I want to log into my admin. That last piece of punctuation is a period. I remind you, though I am no 'master of the web,' that logins are supposed to work first time, every time. Mine does not. WTF? You want to reinvent the universe over it?

Please, leave this to someone who SOLVES PROBLEMS and answer other posts that are contented with 'help pretenders.'

I would be delighted to pay a fee if someone could "just do it," and Joomla is doomed if it cannot and will not support a simple Akeeba host transition!!!!!

waarnemer
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by waarnemer » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:14 am

Sorry, you just disqualified your self for any further help.
You don't read and do what is asked so cut the crap get PAID help. If you at least will answer questions.. as even a PAID help cannot do without the info we are asking.

Get a life.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:13 am

Here is how to reset the Admin password.

http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_recov ... assword%3F

stevenjs
I've been banned!

Post by stevenjs » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Per Yngve Berg, I have created a new user with name and PW, I am still getting the 500 error when attempting to log in with that username/PW. Also, the root .htaccess file only contains the following text:

# allows any user to see this directory
Satisfy Any

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”