Creating dev copy - 'no server found' on front end

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
sbonner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Creating dev copy - 'no server found' on front end

Post by sbonner » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:43 pm

Good day -- I recently inherited responsibility for a website that I didn't create. I wanted to make a development copy of it on my work computer so that I could test changes before committing them to the live site, which is hosted on GoDaddy.

The site only partially works. The back-end seems to be functioning beautifully. The databases are accessible and don't seem to have any missing data. But when I go to 'localhost/mysite/index.php' (or any variation of that, including 'localhost/mysite' and 'localhost:80/mysite'), I get a generic 'server not found.' This happens across all browsers, even after I disabled Firefox's fixit feature (that was adding www and .com around localhost).

I've troubleshooted myself into a corner and I'm hoping someone can help me get back out.

So, here's what all I did (and keep in mind all other websites are working on this stack):

1. Backed up the site with Akeeba.
2. Backed up the individual databases from GoDaddy's hosting portal.
3. Downloaded the zip file created by Akeeba, and the databases.
4. Downloaded and installed the Bitnami WAMP stack (5.4.34-0).
5. Went through phpMyAdmin and created and restored all of our databases.
6. Downloaded Akeeba Kickstart from their website.
7. Plopped Kickstart and the Akeeba zip folder into the correct /mysite folder.
8. Ran Kickstart. I didn't change any options other than the login/location of the database, since these had changed. I also told it to rewrite the log/tmp folder paths to match the new paths for my system.
9. Akeeba restored successfully. I let it clean up the installation folder.

I can log in to our back end and it is 100% identical to our live site. I can navigate around to anything I can reach from the backend, including image folders and template files.

I simply can not get the front end to work. At all.

coding1
I've been banned!

Re: Creating dev copy - 'no server found' on front end

Post by coding1 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:25 am

check .htaccess file and variable "public $live_site = '' in configuration.php

sbonner
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sbonner » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:50 pm

Is there something I should be looking for specifically in htaccess?

I have actually tried loading the front end with and without htaccess.

For livesite, should I have any particular value? I had it set to both 'http://localhost/mysite' and '' (blank).

semijoomla
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by semijoomla » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:20 pm

The best way which I can recommend is check the error_log, so you can find the exact issue and the you can fix it
http://www.pagerank.ae | SEO Analyser

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”