Win 7 + XAMPP + MS Webservices - major issues/conflicts

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ADoobie
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Win 7 + XAMPP + MS Webservices - major issues/conflicts

Post by ADoobie » Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Hey All,

Okay, maybe it wasn't joomla - but I did this ridiculous auto-install on localhost with the bundled Microsoft local webservices or whatever the heck its called that came with (or was needed) for this specific Joomla release package...

I also had an XAMMP localhost installed at the time

First thing that happened were memory errors. Immediately after rebooting after install. Windows literally started coughing on its own blood. This is Windows 7 on a 2ghz dual core 4gb DDR 3 laptop. Shouldn't be having any resource problems.

Next thing that happened, after a second reboot, was a small message pasted into my desktop that says "This version of windows is not genuine" or whatever that standard stuff is.

This is a legit copy of windows that came with the laptop. Laptop is a little over a month old.

Any ideas what the heck could have happened? I'm under a strict deadline, and losing my PC to this is going to kill me. I'm about 2 hours away from doing a complete reformat.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS I've tried un-installing every MS related product that came with this stupid web services pack (all sorts of SQL stuff, patches, updates, etc) ... I've also gone ahead and un-installed my XAMMP)

Thanks,
Allan
Last edited by humvee on Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title changed to something more relevant

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla Broke my Windows 7 Laptop

Post by Webdongle » Mon May 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Windows 7 is having problems handling updates recently. My GF's laptop throws a warning that a critical file is missing. Google the error with your laptop model. And google windows7 update problems. You will see the problem is windows.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

sitehost
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sitehost » Tue May 31, 2011 6:47 am

Yeah the issue wasnt and Couldnt of been from Joomla.. that is all windows there ADoobie. Best wishes on getting your computer back up... try a virus scan..

"for joomla to even remotely have the ability to break your computer, would be impossible. all joomla outputs is text."

tudordavies
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by tudordavies » Wed May 02, 2012 12:54 pm

I had a similar problem when I hired a computer from http://www.itrentals.com/, turned out just to be a fault with the firewall. Check your firewall settings.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Wed May 02, 2012 3:08 pm

There may have been issues if you had both XAMPP and the MS Webservices running at the same time.
They may have been competing over resources.
If you had XAMPP installed with PHP and MySQL running as services there may have been competition over who has priority or god-knows what else Windblows comes up with!
There may have been conflict over the location of the PHP files specifically the configuration file php.ini.
They may have been competing over port number allocations. Certainly if you have Windows IIS and XAMPP Apache and a.n.other Apache all running or installed. Same for MySQL.
The installation of the "upgrades" etc may just have been corrupt!
Can you not use the Windows Recovery system to put you back to before all the Windows server stuff was installed? Assuming you have it running.

EDIT

Oh and Joomla! can't break your laptop its not even installed onto the laptop it runs on top of AMP or WIMP. So I am changing your first title to something more useful.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”