error after upgrade from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

error after upgrade from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3

Post by tokenring » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:11 am

Hey Guys,

Here is one for you. It might be related to my other issue I report about "Can't delete or update *Custom Access Level*".

Here is my environment settings:

PHP Built On Linux infong 2.4 #1 SMP Thu Nov 25 01:59:22 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
Database Version 5.0.91-log
Database Collation utf8_general_ci
PHP Version 5.2.17
Web Server Apache
WebServer to PHP Interface cgi
Joomla! Version Joomla! 1.7.3 Stable [ Ember ] 14-Nov-2011 14:00 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version Joomla Platform 11.2.0 Stable+Modified [ Omar ] 27-Jul-2011 00:00 GMT
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0

Here is the error I got after using the Extension Manager (1.7.2.zip to 1.7.3)

JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL DB function failed with error number 1146
Table 'db384742939.jhlqo_newsfeeds' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `jhlqo_newsfeeds` CHANGE `alias` `alias` VARCHAR( 255 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '';
SQL =

ALTER TABLE `#__newsfeeds` CHANGE `alias` `alias` VARCHAR( 255 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '';

Files Update: SQL error file DB function failed with error number 1146
Table 'db384742939.jhlqo_newsfeeds' doesn't exist SQL=ALTER TABLE `jhlqo_newsfeeds` CHANGE `alias` `alias` VARCHAR( 255 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '';
SQL =

ALTER TABLE `#__newsfeeds` CHANGE `alias` `alias` VARCHAR( 255 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '';

Post Condition:

The site is running and the control panel is fine. It just appears that the site is attempting to update records again that don't exist. This is the second time and I'm almost sure it's because of how sample data can be removed from the site from the control panel using the various built in utility/managers.

I'm almost positive that someone is actively looking into this because it is almost verified that it is this. I've heard from others and have seen the posts.

Thanks,
Aaron

camsarim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: error after upgrade from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3

Post by camsarim » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:38 am

After upgrade I can't login to my site getting 403 error everywhere.
Last edited by camsarim on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

tokenring
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tokenring » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:47 pm

have you fixed it? You might need to provide more details if you want help. I don't know if I can, but I'll try.

Aaron

camsarim
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by camsarim » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:17 am

I will try to give some details as to what happened and how I fixed it.

This happened couple of times now.

I was playing with the access permissions under global configuration.
What I accidentally did was, I assigned the super user to a group which do not have back-end privileges. It should not have let me do so but it did. When you do this, you have a super user -or any other admin- who is assigned to two groups at the same time which has conflicting access settings. After I did this, I did not know what I did, and continue until I log out. When I try to log back in, I get a half blank page, which shows some of the menus up there, (sometimes none), and you don't get to see any of the admin panel.

How I fixed it?

I went on to the database, found the user groups map, deleted all of the superuser assignments but the itself. I logged back in with the super user username-pwd.

Where is the problem?

There is bug on the backend permission settings (global config) which fails to recognize the double conflicting assignments and then somehow results in the bizarre backend template structure. I don't know how it does interfere with the template but this is very important for the developers, this problem might mislead them to look for the bug in the template settings. (which I have seen some Joomla Master was giving advice to disable the default template) This has nothing to do with the template. Just so the developers know.

Anyway, the more I crash, the more I understand the extremely difficult to understand access system on Joomla 1.6/1.7. I consider myself a very computer /joomla friendly person have been using this stuff for years now. It is not user friendly, the terms, I think, are not properly chosen.

My comments:

1 I think, "parent" and "inherited" are misleading terms. Too hard to conceptualize, what is parent, and what is a child. The more you go up on access levels, the more children you produce, which does not make sense from the access perspective. Parent should be the one who has most access, by logic. Current system is constructed the other way, parent is the larger population which produces smaller groups out of it. But it is misleading in the general sense. This took a week for me to understand who has the most access. That is why I kept creating conflicting assignments. The term "inherited" makes thing even more confusing. Who inherits what to whom? A parent who is supposed to have no access (public) inherits to its child more access levels. Why? Is it not supposed to be the other way around? I understand the structure now but the terminology of this thing is way to complicated for a regular user. (at least for me)

2.Another problem is failing to properly explain, what is the actions that someone can do. This has nothing to do with the access levels, and this took another couple of hours for me to understand. You can inherit something to another group, however it lets you assign the same user to another group which has different action permissions, which caused the above problem.

Anyway, I might be wrong, and understood the whole thing totally wrong.
But even so, I think some developer who is in charge for this part of the system maybe want to hear I have been thru.

Thanks

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”