Rewrite Engine Rules - Error When Trying to Create Accoun

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
domer2x
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Rewrite Engine Rules - Error When Trying to Create Accoun

Post by domer2x » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm unable to create an account on a new 1.7.2 install. Joomla installs fine - and I'm able to get to the backend - however I can't create a new account from the homepage. The login page appears as plain text with a 404 error.

The host advised:
"I think there may be a problem with the rewrite engine. That page is plain text because the requests it's making to the server for its style information (js, css, and images) are not being found by the server."

"Unfortunately I have no way to troubleshoot the rewrite engine rules. This has nothing to do with php at the moment -- the rewrite engine is handled directly by apache. I cannot troubleshoot this though because I do not know what the correct format of your URLs is meant to be, and what the correct rewrite engine rules are. The support people over at the joomla community have probably seen this error before though, and should be able to tell you (and me through you) where to look to fix this error."

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”