Problems installing extensions

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
tiptreegirl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Problems installing extensions

Post by tiptreegirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:37 am

Hi,
I have joomla 1.7.0 and it was working fine (had installed templates etc). Suddenly I can't install anything - no templates or extensions and I can't even upload images. I have googled this for days and tried changing the php.ini, php5.ini and config files. I've tried the max upload file size, checked the tmp and log paths. Basically tried everything that I have found on here and other sites.

The error I get when i try to install images is that the file size is too large (which is nonsense as they are the same size as previously uploaded images). The error I get when trying to install extensions is that there was an error uploading this file to the server. The warning says the php temporary directory isn't set.

I can't think what could have changed since it first worked. I upload through the interface and FTP - used to always be through the interface, but then when I had an image problem, I switched to FTP to get the files up. I have also enabled and disabled FTP settings.

If anyone has any ideas as to what else I can check, I'd appreciate it:)

tiptreegirl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Problems installing extensions

Post by tiptreegirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:09 pm

I should add that I've talked GoDaddy several times and they say everything is set up correctly regarding the hosting, php etc. I've also tested it on different browsers and computers.

wwhite
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by wwhite » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:09 pm

What is your $tmp_path set to in configuration.php?
What are the permissions on that directory?
Did you or your host make changes to your site, just prior to the "suddenly" part?
Joomla - K2
Funeral Director - Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day!
Saying - This old world keeps spinning round, it a wonder tall trees aint laying down https://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=c_W9aaQ1Apo

tiptreegirl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tiptreegirl » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:19 pm

public $tmp_path = '/home/content/d/l/c/dlconsult/html/originalscreated4u/tmp';
Permissions are set to 755 - I updated these from 705

Host says they haven't made any changes lately, nothing upgraded. All I can think of is the change in the way I uploaded images, but that was really in response to not being able to through the joomla interface.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”