XML Errors in TemplateDetails in 2.5 Rhuk_milkyway template

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
traintracts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

XML Errors in TemplateDetails in 2.5 Rhuk_milkyway template

Post by traintracts » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:36 pm

I am desperate for an answer. I am at a total standstill. :( I converted my rhuk_milkway template from 1.5 to 2.5 according to this wonderful article: http://magazine.joomla.org/issues/issue ... nt&print=1 by Tian Bui. I read the documentation and watched the video at the end of how to convert this template rhuk_milkyway from 1.5 to 2.5. Tian Bui has not replied to my post. It was not even posted.
As far as this link says and the video says, I have done everything right...but I keep getting error messages when I try to upload in my Backend in Extentions Manager. It "discovers" the new template, but I get errors. So something is wrong with templateDetails, but line 3 looks good to me, but I am not a programmer at all. Just a girl with a dream to get her Joomla website migrated! Here are the errors:

Failed loading XML file D:\home\traintracts.com\wwwroot\tmp\install_5113955051a4f\rhuk_milkyway25/templateDetails.xml
- XML: attributes construct error
- XML: Couldn't find end of Start Tag extension line 3
- XML: Extra content at the end of the document
JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find Joomla XML setup file

Can anyone tell me if there are any errors here? In Notepad++ this is my newly edited TemplateDetails.xml file that I copied and pasted:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE install PUBLIC "-//Joomla! 1.5//DTD template 1.0//EN" "http://www.joomla.org/xml/dtd/1.5/template-install.dtd">
<extension version="2.5" type="template" client="site">
<name>rhuk_milkyway25</name>
<creationDate>11/20/06</creationDate>
<author>Andy Miller</author>
<authorEmail>[email protected]</authorEmail>
<authorUrl>http://www.rockettheme.com</authorUrl>
<copyright></copyright>
<license>GNU/GPL</license>
<version>1.0.2</version>
<description>TPL_RHUK_MILKYWAY</description>
<files>
<filename>index.php</filename>
<filename>templateDetails.xml</filename>
<filename>template_thumbnail.png</filename>
<filename>template_preview.png</filename>
<filename>error.php</filename>
<folder>css</folder>
<folder>images</folder>
<filename>i
</files>
<positions>
<position>breadcrumb</position>
<position>left</position>
<position>right</position>
<position>top</position>
<position>user1</position>
<position>user2</position>
<position>user3</position>
<position>user4</position>
<position>footer</position>
<position>debug</position>
<position>syndicate</position>
</positions>
<config>
<field name="colorVariation" type="list" default="white" label="Color Variation" description="Color variation to use">
<option value="blue">Blue</option>
<option value="red">Red</option>
<option value="green">Green</option>
<option value="orange">Orange</option>
<option value="black">Black</option>
<option value="white">White</option>
</field>
<field name="backgroundVariation" type="list" default="blue" label="Background Variation" description="Background color variation to use">
<option value="blue">Blue</option>
<option value="red">Red</option>
<option value="green">Green</option>
<option value="orange">Orange</option>
<option value="black">Black</option>
<option value="white">White</option>
</field>
<field name="widthStyle" type="list" default="fmax" label="Template Width" description="Width style of the template">
<option value="fmax">Fluid with maximum</option>
<option value="medium">Medium</option>
<option value="small">Small</option>
<option value="fluid">Fluid</option>
</field>
</fieldset>
</fields>
</config>

Thank you so much for helping me! :)
Susan

ionut
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: XML Errors in TemplateDetails in 2.5 Rhuk_milkyway templ

Post by ionut » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Hello,

Based on your code, I have modified and created a proper xml, which I hope it will work for you.
Download the attachment, unzip it and replace your templateDetails.xml with the one from my attachment.
Let us know if it will work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

traintracts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by traintracts » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:58 am

Thank you so very very much! I work the third shift, so I'm about to go now, but I will try it tomorrow and see if it works.

traintracts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by traintracts » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi Ionut,
It has been a very busy week. I had to put out a couple fires! So I am sorry, but I am just now getting to this. OK, well, I replaced your version of "templateDetails" (I saved it in a folder on my local computer and then using FileZilla, I uploaded it and put it in the folder under my wwwroot...well, then I went to my Joomla backend - Extention Manager and clicked the Discover tab and then the other Discover button on the top right and well, I got this error:

Failed loading XML file
D:\home\traintracts.com\wwwroot\jupgrade/templates/rhuk_milkyway25/templateDetails.xml
XML: failed to load external entity "file:///D:/home/traintracts.com/wwwroot/jupgrade/templates/rhuk_milkyway25/templateDetails.xml"

So do you know what went wrong? I have never seen this error: "Failed to load external entity" before.
But I am encouraged that the line error on line 3 is not there! So that error on "line 3" has been fixed! So I realize that your editing did the job! :-) Thank you so much!! Please get back to me when you can - if you know about this "failed to load external entity" error Thanks so much!

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:56 pm

You may want to change it to: <!DOCTYPE install PUBLIC "-//Joomla! 2.5//DTD template 1.0//EN" "http://www.joomla.org/xml/dtd/2.5/template-install.dtd">
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

traintracts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by traintracts » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 pm

Thank you for responding! I am kind of a newbie, not a "computer whiz kid" at all and not a programmer either, so many times things go right over my head...so what do mean by changing "it"? I need more specifics...and why did you give me the the web address? So i need to know - what is "it"? and once I change "it" - where do I put it? Please be specific and instructional, like step by step...like you are dealing with a 1st grader. LOL! Thank you so much!

ionut
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ionut » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Hello,

I have modified it for you, I hope this time will work :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:32 pm

The instruction I gave was appropriate and at your level considering the issue. The wizzkid part was taken care of for you.
Initially by adding </extension> because the error said it was missing. Line 3 declares <extension ....> and needs an </extension> to close it. Basic xml syntax!

Looking at <!DOCTYPE for all standard delivered templates for J2.5 they mention 2.5 instead of 1.5. Replacing the DOCTYPE line definitely doesn't qualify as wizzkid stuff. Relating the errors you received to the DOCTYPE line is. And again that was taken care of for you.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

traintracts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by traintracts » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Ionut,

You are amazing!! It WORKED!! I downloaded the NEW and improved "TemplateDetails. xml" into my local folder and then uploaded into FileZilla and went to my backend again to Extension Manager and cleared the cache and pressed Discover again and it INSTALLED! I was so surprised. I just stared at it in bewilderment! I have been trying to install this for two weeks!! I am so thankful! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

So then I went to Template Manager and made Rhuk_milkyway25 my default template...and was so HOPING that since I CONVERTED my rhuk_milkyway 1.5 template to 2.5 that this converted template would make my website appear just like it did before! Man, I was wrong. I have a lot of cleaning up to do. Sigh. But I will worry about "putting things back in place" tomorrow. Sigh.

But THANK YOU SO MUCH Ionut!! I really really appreciate you!!
Thank you again, Ionut!!

ionut
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ionut » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:03 pm

You are welcome! I'm glad the problem was solved :)

badintent
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by badintent » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi,

i hope someone could please assist me, i copied all info in this thread and put it in practice and every time i go to view my site i receive this error "The template for this display is not available. Please contact a Site administrator." any assistance to rectify this error would just be amazing right about now, please contact me on [email protected].

Thanks Guy and Ladies

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”