My Joomla 1.7 Installation on my server is not working

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

My Joomla 1.7 Installation on my server is not working

Post by ediddy02 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:23 pm

I developed a website with joomla on a demo server and now want to move it to the new server,i took all the pains to upload through ftp all the joomla installation files on the new server.

After uploading all the files i tried to start the installation but instead of opening the default installing page gave me this response:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in \\HOSTING\DFS\20\9\7\0\2076609079\user\sites\tethys-plantgeria.com\www\libraries\joomla\language\language.php on line 1215

Fatal error: Call to undefined method JException::setModel() in \\HOSTING\DFS\20\9\7\0\2076609079\user\sites\tethys-plantgeria.com\www\installation\controller.php on line 64

you can also view the error message on
http://tethys-plantgeria.com/installation/index.php

please what do i do to correct this message so i can start the transfer of the files on the demo site to the new one.

thanks in anticipation.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: My Joomla 1.7 Installation on my server is not working

Post by toivo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:00 am

Did you transfer the whole contents of the Joomla installation zip file?

At least the file /libraries/joomla/application/component/view.php is not stored on the server. That file contains the method JException::setModel() and its absence caused the fatal error.

Once you have installed Joomla on the server, the next step is to back up your demo database and restore it on the server.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

angling
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by angling » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:42 am

Check file permissions with particular emphasis on /libraries/joomla/application/component/view.php (644 is ok).
Moje strony w J!:

https://keszker.pl
SSL, mySEF J!2.5, wkrótce 3.0

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:59 am

@tovio thanks a million will upload that file it and let you know what of the second error that reads

Fatal error: Call to undefined method JException::setModel() in \\HOSTING\DFS\20\9\7\0\2076609079\user\sites\tethys-plantgeria.com\www\installation\controller.php on line 64

is there a file i didnt install in the installation folder?

thanks

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:00 am

@angling thanks for your candid suggestion will upload that file and let you guys know if it works

you guys rock on this forum..lovely joomla family we gat here im proud to be part of it

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:29 am

is there a file i didnt install in the installation folder?
...the file /libraries/joomla/application/component/view.php is not stored on the server
You need to copy all the folders and files from the Joomla zip archive to the main Joomla folder or directory on the server, not just the folder called "installation". Only then can the installation program find the necessary classes and methods required during the installation.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:41 am

Why not just install Akeeba on your local site. Do a backup and then use Kickstart to install the site to the new server. By far the easiest way IMHO. No need to transfer any files to the new server just the JPA file created by Akeeba and the kickstrart.php file!

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:00 pm

@Mitchell65 thanks for your suggestion i thought of using akeeba but got confused as to where to get the actual download file on their website checked everywhere but didn't see cud u send me the link so i cud take it from there, i think i should have used akeeba from the start but would use it for future projects,i'd do toivo's suggestion first by uploading the missing file then i'd weigh my options from there...thanks

would appreciate if u send me the direct link where i can download akeeba and give me a brief insight on how it works...reminds me of softacoluous one click easy installation

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:39 pm

You can download the Akeeba backup extension from here:
https://www.akeebabackup.com/download/o ... 3-4-1.html
There is an excellent quickstart guide on this page too.
But it is very straightforward. Download the ZIP file and go to extensions manager and install the extension in the normal way.
Then go to here:
https://www.akeebabackup.com/download/a ... 3-4-0.html
and download the Kwickstart package. This is not a Joomla! extension installer package. Kickstart works outside of Joomla!. Do not try to "install" Kickstart in Joomla!, it won't work. You do not "install" Kickstart. Extract the Kickstart to a older on your hard drive .
Delete all the Joomla files on your host htdocs or www folder. If you haven't created a new database on the host do so now and copy and paste the Server name, User name, password and database name to a page in Wordpad or similar text editor and save that file.
Now go to the localserver backend admin and click Extensions tab. Choose Akeeba in the drop down list and click backup. Create backup. Leave to finish, don't interrupt it!
Once the backup is finished, go to you server folder on your hard drive (if that's where you set up the localserver) navigate to your Joomla site and click the folder " administrator" then "components" then com_akeeba" then "backup". In thast folder will be the JPA file which is the Akeeba backup file. FTP this file to you host www or htdocs folder. Make sure the Transfer mode of the FTP program is set to "Binary" (If you use FileZilla the click the "Transfer" tag at the top of the screen and then "transfer Type" click "Binary". It will take a few minutes to transfer the file. When complete go to the extracted Kickstart files and FTP the kickstart.php file to the same folder as the JPA file on the host.
Now open your browser and in the address bar type www.[your domain name]/kickstart.php and press enter
Follow the onscreen install screens. Make sure you have you Word pad document wioth the database details handy and copy and paste the details in the appropriate boxes when it comes up. You should get a screen that says "You appear to have a different database do you want to clear the details to start afresh (something like that anyway, I can't remember the exact words but it will make sense when you get there), click yes and all the detail boxes will be empty ready for you to complete. Just follow the screen to compltete. Very similar to a new Joomla installation!
Hope this helps!

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:03 pm

@mitschell 65 thanks for the extensive run down on akeeba back up will try it as an option too and let you know..

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:54 am

@toivio the file.... /libraries/joomla/application/component/view.php is not stored on the server

The file view.php is actually uploaded on the server,i deleted and uploaded it again and it still didn't work is there another solution

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:03 am

@Mitchell65

Delete all the Joomla files on your host htdocs or www folder

i do not have any joomla files on my www folder cos all the files and folders were created in the remote server so how do i substitute for this??

Now go to the localserver backend admin and click Extensions tab. Choose Akeeba in the drop down list and click backup. Create backup. Leave to finish, don't interrupt it!
Once the backup is finished, go to you server folder on your hard drive (if that's where you set up the localserver) navigate to your Joomla site and click the folder " administrator" then "components" then com_akeeba" then "backup". In thast folder will be the JPA file which is the Akeeba backup file. FTP this file to you host www or htdocs folder

When you say local back end server do you mean the back end server where the demo site is hosted on?

My scenario is this i want to move it from one already hosted server not on a local server on my desktop to a new server which is also hosted..how do i use akeeba as a back up to this?
your assistance will be greatly appreciated..

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:31 am

ediddy02
Will be back in an hour or so!

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:55 pm

I tried using akeeba everything worked out well until i got to the installation page where i loaded kickstart.php on extracting it gave me this error message:

Could not open //HOSTING/DFS/20/9/7/0/2076609079/user/sites/tethys-plantgeria.com/www/installation/README.html for writing.

i created a README.html file and uploaded it on the server it didnt work

i tried using ftp mode to extract it didnt work same message

i reuploaded the .jpa file using ftp binary mode it still didnt work
im just stuck

what do i do now nothing seems to work this server stuff is just being difficult for me

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:40 pm

@toivo i have been able to eliminate the second error message by reuploading the installation folder under root directory..im now getting error message:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in \\HOSTING\DFS\20\9\7\0\2076609079\user\sites\tethys-plantgeria.com\www\libraries\joomla\language\language.php on line 1215

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Sorry for delay, job took longer than I thought. Just out of interest are you in the UK?
i do not have any joomla files on my www folder cos all the files and folders were created in the remote server so how do i substitute for this??
I assumed you had files on the host www folder as you said earlier:
i took all the pains to upload through ftp all the joomla installation files on the new server.
If your www folder on your sever is completely empty of Joomla files then proceed to upload the JPA Akeeba backup file and the kickstart.php file then providing you have the new database details ready you can proceed with the installation.
Follow my previous post to complete!

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:16 pm

OK I posted and missed your last two posts. If your JPA file is still on the server can you PM me the URL with the full JPA file name and I will download it and install it on my server to test it for corruption. We will get this to work!

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:46 pm

@Mitchell65 you can view the kickstart and ekeeba installation at

http://tethys-plantgeria.com/kickstart.php

i uploaded the jpa on the root folder of the site u can have a look when you open the link try to click start to extract files u"d see the response it will give you thats the problem im facing
We will get this to work!
thanks for offering to troubleshoot with me on getting a solution to this problem..we will get this to work really made me feel better thanks a lot lets give it our best shot

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:40 pm

Yes see what you mean. I'm clutching at straws here now. It seems to be an Akeeba problem or in any case I can only find a couple of Akeeba Forum Quotes about this problem when I Google it and that is only available on subscription. Mind you that is 8US Dollars for just 8 days support via their ticket system!
Any chance you can do another backup just in case the original got corrupted?
How about trying to install a fresh instance of Joomla to the server just to make sure that all the specs are right at the server end?

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:07 am

still troubleshooting for a solution..i'd still appreciate some help or more brainstorming suggestions
im gonna try to upload a fresh folder of joomla and see if it works

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:41 am

In my last post I said:
Any chance you can do another backup just in case the original got corrupted?
How about trying to install a fresh instance of Joomla to the server just to make sure that all the specs are right at the server end?

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 am

@Mitchell65 im doing a fresh upload trying to back it up again is another option ive kept open will keep u posted

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:51 am

@Mitchell Hi there, i was able to back up the .jpa file again, upload it through binary mode on my ftp and again it didnt do the extraction on kickstart.php.I then decided to go the hard way by uploading all the former files,one after the other of my demo website on the new webserver.Went on straight to import the old database into the new one through phpmyadmin and subsequently changed the configuration of the config.php file to reflect the new database details.

After all uploads and was time to check my laborious upload project live on the server it still still came with an error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in \\HOSTING\DFS\20\9\7\0\2076609079\user\sites\tethys-plantgeria.com\www\configuration.php on line 53

you can see the error message on http://tethys-plantgeria.com/index.php

what can i do to get this fixed once and for all.

..in btw i kinda feel better having this error message than the former ones i've been getting cos i feel i theres something i'm not doing right on the configuration.php file
any suggestions?
I Must conquer this problem

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 am

below is a copy of my config.php file

of course the database passcodes are pseudonyms

<?php
class JConfig {
public $offline = '0';
public $offline_message = 'This site is down for maintenance.<br /> Please check back again soon.';
public $display_offline_message = '1';
public $sitename = 'Tethysplantgeria';
public $editor = 'tinymce';
public $list_limit = '20';
public $access = '1';
public $debug = '0';
public $debug_lang = '0';
public $dbtype = 'mysql';
public $host = 'host';
public $user = 'house';
public $password = 'road';
public $db = 'city';
public $dbprefix = 'jos_';
public $live_site = '';
public $secret = '3so6lxk3tba4tdkb';
public $gzip = '0';
public $error_reporting = 'default';
public $helpurl = 'http://help.joomla.org/proxy/index.php? ... 16:{keyref}';
public $ftp_host = '';
public $ftp_port = '';
public $ftp_user = '';
public $ftp_pass = '';
public $ftp_root = '';
public $ftp_enable = '0';
public $offset = 'UTC';
public $offset_user = 'UTC';
public $mailer = 'sendmail';
public $mailfrom = '';
public $fromname = 'Tethysplantgeria';
public $sendmail = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';
public $smtpauth = '0';
public $smtpuser = '';
public $smtppass = '';
public $smtphost = 'mail.tethys-plantgeria.com';
public $smtpsecure = 'none';
public $smtpport = '25';
public $caching = '0';
public $cache_handler = 'file';
public $cachetime = '15';
public $MetaDesc = 'TethysPlantgeria';
public $MetaKeys = '';
public $MetaAuthor = '1';
public $sef = '1';
public $sef_rewrite = '0';
public $sef_suffix = '0';
public $unicodeslugs = '0';
public $feed_limit = '10';
public $log_path = '/site/tethys-plantgeria.com/www/logs'';
public $tmp_path = '/site/tethys-plantgeria.com/www/tmp'';
public $lifetime = '15';
public $session_handler = 'database';
public $MetaRights = '';
public $sitename_pagetitles = '1';
public $force_ssl = '0';
public $feed_email = 'author';
public $cookie_domain = '';
public $cookie_path = '';
}

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:49 am

I'm not much good when it comes to editing code but I did notice that on line 53 and 54 of my config file there was only one ' sign after logs and temp whereas yours has two as this:
public $log_path = '/site/tethys-plantgeria.com/www/logs'';
public $tmp_path = '/site/tethys-plantgeria.com/www/tmp'';

Might b worth editing yours!

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:56 am

@Mitchell 65 thanks so much will try editing that code right away and uploading it back

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:39 am

@Mitchelll 65 phew! removing the double '' finally worked but the page opens only when you type index.php as the directory pathway.When i type directly the url www.tethys-plantgeria.com it doesn't open the page rather it says i do not have the permission to view this directory..how do i get this resolved

the same applies for the administrator page like tethys-plantgeria.com/administrator it doesn't open the page rather it opens only when i put index.php after it.

Lastly i still get this errors like:

JFolder: :folder: Path is not a folder. Path: \HOSTING\DFS\20\9\7\0\2076609079\user\sites\tethys-plantgeria.com\www\administrator\language

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in \\HOSTING\DFS\20\9\7\0\2076609079\user\sites\tethys-plantgeria.com\www\libraries\joomla\language\language.php on line 1221

on the administrator page..

thats about it,once i get all these resolved i think its a go with this project.

waiting for your suggestions

NB;thanks so much with your assistance so far..

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:58 am

Attached is a copy of the language.php code on

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in \\HOSTING\DFS\20\9\7\0\2076609079\user\sites\tethys-plantgeria.com\www\libraries\joomla\language\language.php on line 1221
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mitchell65
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by mitchell65 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:46 pm

The file in question in language.php not language.txt I think
Go to that line and delete the "- 1221"
to leave this
foreach ($subdirs as $path)

Save the file.

ediddy02
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ediddy02 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:08 pm

i intentionally added the " 1221" for you to see the line where the error message is..it ain't on the language.php i uploaded on the server,secondly i couldn't upload the file on this forum in a .php format that was why i saved it on notepad as.txt extension

its like this on the server
public static function parseLanguageFiles($dir = null)
{
jimport('joomla.filesystem.folder');

$languages = array ();

$subdirs = JFolder::folders($dir);

foreach ($subdirs as $path)
{
$langs = self::parseXMLLanguageFiles("$dir/$path");
$languages = array_merge($languages, $langs);
}

return $languages;
}

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”