FTP Layer Permissions Problem

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jabordnick
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

FTP Layer Permissions Problem

Post by jabordnick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:00 pm

I'm running a website under WHM and Cpanel. I found that the default user account for cpanel is not considered an FTP user by Cpanel. In order for Joomla's FTP layer to work you have to generate a new FTP user Account. Just thought I'd drop this in cause I was tearing my hair out for two days trying to figure it out. FTP worked with Filezilla but not with Joomla. :)

pxforti
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: FTP Layer Permissions Problem

Post by pxforti » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:42 pm

Best to not use ftp layer unless your uploads won't work without it. I've found the fpt layer to be a big PIA. I guess it's purpose is for hosts that prevent the upload from working correctly. However, the default cpanel user ftp works.
Joomla Website Design / CS-Cart Website Design
http://writenowdesign.com

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:46 pm

ftp layer is not needed on servers that are properly configured.

Please disable ftp layer in Global config.

Please run the Forum Post Assistant and post the results on here.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

jabordnick
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jabordnick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:49 am

You guys don't seem to understand, this isn't a problem, it's a solution. When you first get your website from your webhost, they give you your cpanel username and Password. Well if you go into cpanel and check in ftp accounts, your cpanel username is considered a "special ftp account", and won't work with Joomla's FTP layer. But if you create a regular FTP account with access to the root of public_html then the FTP layer works perfectly.

Now I do have another problem with the new Joomla. with the older versions I was able to throw up multiple mock up sites in their own folder on one domain name. I tried that with Joomla 253 and when I modified the global configuration and saved it, it overwrote the configuration.php file in the root of the main site instead of the configuration.php in it's home folder.

Rob

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:58 pm

jabordnick wrote:You guys don't seem to understand, this isn't a problem, it's a solution. ...
Sorry to disagree, but us guys do understand. If you need to use the ftp layer to be able to install extensions then your server is not set up correctly. And in additions it will cause you many problems in the future. Please run the Forum Post Assistant, that way we can analyse your Joomla install and help you.

jabordnick
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jabordnick » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:40 am

Forum Post Assistant (v1.2.0) : 28th March 2012 wrote:
Basic Environment :: wrote:Joomla! Instance :: Not Found
Joomla! Configured :: Not Found

Host Configuration :: OS: Linux | OS Version: 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 | Technology: i686 | Web Server: Apache | Encoding: gzip, deflate | Doc Root: /home/yconorth/public_html | System TMP Writable: Yes

PHP Configuration :: Version: 5.3.10 | PHP API: apache2handler | Session Path Writable: Yes | Display Errors: 1 | Error Reporting: 22519 | Log Errors To: error_log | Last Known Error: | Register Globals: | Magic Quotes: 1 | Safe Mode: | Open Base: /home/yconorth:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/tmp | Uploads: 1 | Max. Upload Size: 10M | Max. POST Size: 8M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Max. Execution Time: 30 | Memory Limit: 64M

MySQL Configuration :: Database Credentials incomplete or not available Nothing to display.
Detailed Environment :: wrote:PHP Extensions :: Core (5.3.10) | date (5.3.10) | ereg () | libxml () | pcre () | sqlite3 (0.7-dev) | zlib (1.1) | bcmath () | calendar () | ctype () | curl () | dom (20031129) | filter (0.11.0) | ftp () | gd () | gettext () | hash (1.0) | iconv () | SPL (0.2) | json (1.2.1) | mbstring () | mysql (1.0) | session () | standard (5.3.10) | posix () | Reflection ($Revision: 321634 $) | Phar (2.0.1) | SimpleXML (0.1) | sockets () | imap () | tokenizer (0.1) | xml () | xmlreader (0.1) | xmlwriter (0.1) | apache2handler () | eAccelerator (0.9.6.1) | suhosin (0.9.33) | PDO (1.0.4dev) | pdo_mysql (1.0.2) | pdo_sqlite (1.0.1) | SQLite (2.0-dev) | ionCube Loader () | Zend Engine (2.3.0) |
Potential Missing Extensions :: zip | openssl | mysqli | mcrypt |

Switch User Environment (Experimental) :: PHP CGI: No | Server SU: No | PHP SU: No | Custom SU (Cloud/Grid): No
Potential Ownership Issues: Maybe

Apache Modules :: core | mod_authn_file | mod_authn_default | mod_authz_host | mod_authz_groupfile | mod_authz_user | mod_authz_default | mod_auth_basic | mod_include | mod_filter | mod_log_config | mod_logio | mod_env | mod_expires | mod_headers | mod_unique_id | mod_setenvif | mod_version | mod_proxy | mod_proxy_connect | mod_proxy_ftp | mod_proxy_http | mod_proxy_scgi | mod_proxy_ajp | mod_proxy_balancer | mod_ssl | prefork | http_core | mod_mime | mod_status | mod_autoindex | mod_asis | mod_info | mod_suexec | mod_cgi | mod_negotiation | mod_dir | mod_actions | mod_userdir | mod_alias | mod_rewrite | mod_so | mod_auth_passthrough | mod_bwlimited | mod_fpcgid | mod_php5 | mod_security2 | Apache |
Potential Missing Modules :: mod_deflate | mod_security | mod_evasive | mod_dosevasive | mod_qos | mod_userdir |

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:59 pm

'PHP API: apache2handler' needs to be cgi(fast cgi), if you can not find a setting for that in your Host's CP then speak to your Host. Once that is set you can stop using the ftp layer and most of your problems will disappear.

PhilD
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by PhilD » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:47 pm

'PHP API: apache2handler' needs to be cgi(fast cgi)
or litespeed or possibly some other setup. But I do agree it should not be apache2handler or a setup that does not work like cgi(fast cgi) with suphp or suexec installed.
Joomla! Instance :: Not Found
Joomla! Configured :: Not Found
All these type errors (especially these two in fpa are the result of not installing the fpa script in the same "root" directory as Joomla is installed in or Joomla is simply not installed.

The domains default ftp account which is normally your main domain accounts login and username will generally work with Joomla though this is a big security don't do. I think one can see why, but in case not; The main domain accounts ftp user has access to the entire domain and is why it is not wise to use this account with Joomla or for everyday processes. Anyone getting this information has easy access to your domains main account and can do anything as if they were you. It is always wise to setup a specific ftp account for use with Joomla only and is restricted to the directory that Joomla is installed in. In fact it is wise to just not use the main ftp account (you can not delete it) but rather set up an account for everyday usage with restricted access.

Though I do not recommend setting up the Joomla ftp layer as this generally means your server is improperly configured for use with modern website programs, All fields in the ftp layer setup have to be setup properly or it won't work or wont be enabled.
PhilD

jabordnick
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jabordnick » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks Guys, Everything works a treat now.

Rob

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”