Switching from 1.5 to 2.5

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Muleiolenimi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Switching from 1.5 to 2.5

Post by Muleiolenimi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Hello All!
A year or so ago, I paid someone to create a site for me in joomla! No prizes for guessing the result. So I decided to learn myself, and have happily created a couple of sites since then. I now want to resuscitate the original one and convert from 1.5 to 2.5, but...
A) Judging by joomla! documentation (http://docs.joomla.org/Tutorial:Migrati ... Joomla_1.6: "Please read through all the material as this is not a light undertaking.") - it ain't going to be easy
B) It's probably quicker to start again from scratch

So, nooby-type question:
Couldn't I just delete the original site and upload a new 2.5?
If so, how would I do it?
Thanks for your help!

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Switching from 1.5 to 2.5

Post by humvee » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Well you could test out the complexity or otherwise by creating a copy of your original site on a localhost server on your PC, using Akeeba and Kickstart, then try the upgrade process.

There are also some commercial extensions on the JED for less than 30 euros that purportedly allow 1.5. to 2.5 direct upgrades but you would need to look into these for yourself.

The second part of your question depends really on what amount of content you have on your old site whether you want to just lose it all or not.

You could perhaps move the current site into a subdirectory, then install the new Joomla! site and database (making sure the database is either completely separate if your hosting package provides more than one database, or that the prefix used for the tables is completely different to the original database.).

With a little tweeking of the configuration for the old site you could just access it as a subdirectory of the main url or if your host has the facility to easily enable you to do it, your could create a subdomain.

If you have very little content then yes you could just delete the old site and drop the database tables and install Joomla 2.5.4 from scratch.

As with many things in life there are many different ways to achieve the end result.

HTH

Andy

Muleiolenimi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Muleiolenimi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your very complete reply. Actually, the site was a .fr version of my existing .com, designed for updating while leaving an existing site in place, but so many things have changed a good clean sweep is probably the best.

So... I just go to ftp.site.fr and delete all, simple as that?

Thanks again!

Simon

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:42 pm

So long as you only remove the folders and files of the Joomla installation and not any of the hosting specific files if there are any.
You would then need to use PHPMyAdmin or similar to access the database and DROP the tables that are there to clear the way for your new database.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:46 pm

[Mod note: Moved from General Forum to Installation Forum.]

Muleiolenimi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Muleiolenimi » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:48 pm

I'll have to reread that on a brighter dawn!

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”