How do I transfer a Joomla website to a new domain?

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ErnyF
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How do I transfer a Joomla website to a new domain?

Post by ErnyF » Tue May 01, 2012 8:18 am

I have an existing joomla website which I need to change to a new domain name whilst keeping in its present form and content. (The company has changed its name and I need to migrate the whole site to a new domain name).

How can I achieve this without having to completely re-write the pages / articles and modules etc..? Thanks ErnyF

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How do I transfer a Joomla website to a new domain?

Post by humvee » Tue May 01, 2012 8:21 am

[Mod note: Moved from Upgrading Forum to Installation Forum.]

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue May 01, 2012 8:21 am

Are you changing servers/hosts? Or just the domain name?

mod911
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mod911 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 am

@ErnyF:

If you are just changing domain name under the same Server/Host, try this one:

1. Add the domain name on your server. If you are using Cpanel, go to "Addon Domains" page, then add your domain name and set its directory where your current website is located from your server.
2. Update your new domain name servers. On your domain management panel, point your new domain to your Host Server Name where your website is located (example: ns1.samplehost.com, ns2.samplehost.com<<<get this info from your web hosting provider).

If you are migrating your whole website to a New Host/Server and New domain, try this one:

1. Copy and save the whole directory structure of your website from your old server/host.
2. Back-up and save your website database.
3. Upload your entire website (saved in step 1) to your new host/server --- maintain the directory structure.
4. Log-in to your new server and create a blank database, and import the database you backed-up in step 2.
5. Update the following data from the Joomla configuration.php file (located at the root directory): host name, database name, and database user.

If everything is OK, your site should be up and should look the same as it was.

If you encounter errors, etc, try to contact your web host provider. They should be able to help you sort them out.

Good Luck!

ErnyF
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ErnyF » Tue May 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks for the replies

I am just changing domain names with the same hosting company; ie I have the working website registered and uploaded as 'www.Domain1.com' and just want to change the website to: 'www.Domain2.com'

Both domains and database's are registered and hosted with the same hosting company..suggestions appreciated - Thanks ErnyF

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue May 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Provided you are not changing the location of the database or the file system it is simply a case of editing the paths in the configuration.php file in the Joomla root directory.

If you do have to move the files and database then use the Akeeba Backup and Kickstart extension to achieve this following their documentation precisely.

As a safety measure it is also worth manually downloading a copy of your filesystem by FTP and backing up the database by creating a DUMP of all the tables with PHPMyAdmin.

ErnyF
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ErnyF » Fri May 04, 2012 8:18 am

Thanks for the info - ErnyF

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri May 04, 2012 8:23 am

I would also point out that depending on what you have changed you may have to edit any paths in the .htaccess file or in any Extensions that you may have added that have their own configuration files with the paths in.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”