Need begining installation help

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
muckky
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Need begining installation help

Post by muckky » Fri May 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Trying to install joomla with no luck. This is for a new website where nothing has been created yet. Using Hosting.com as hosting company. First realized I needed to switch to Linux hosting to support Joomla, which I did. Still not able to install. I used Filezilla to xfr joomla install files from my computer to website. I've read beginners instructions and even bought Joomla Explained by Stephen Burge. Still can't see the language page to even get started. I have no idea what to do now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by humvee on Mon May 14, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as resolved

digitalsoul
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Need begining installation help

Post by digitalsoul » Fri May 11, 2012 6:43 pm

have you tried going to your domain using a browser? Any errors? It could also be an issue of where your domain is pointing to, what folder? Basing on your screenshot, your joomla files are in the root. Are you certain that your domain is configured on your CPanel to point to the root?

Please elucidate to be able to help you further. ;D

muckky
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by muckky » Fri May 11, 2012 6:58 pm

I did try to open up in browser. I went to my website name/installation and got this:

The website declined to show this webpage
HTTP 403
Most likely causes:
•This website requires you to log in.

But doesn't give me a link or anywhere to login.
Not certain if my domain is configured to point to root. How would I check that?

digitalsoul
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by digitalsoul » Fri May 11, 2012 7:05 pm

403 error mostly means you don't have an index or a homepage file on the server, so possible your files needs to be on another folder. However, you can try to coordinate with your web host first and let them check on what folder your domain is pointing to. You can also let them check the file permission of your index.php if it has enough rights to run. 644 file permission will be good.

muckky
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by muckky » Fri May 11, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks, I'll try with hosting company.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Fri May 11, 2012 9:19 pm

This is actually very straight forward (unfortunately).

You have tried installing Joomla above the web_root itself.

Your web_root/ is htdocs and that is where Joomla should have been uploaded to.

In the process you have tried to overwrite your web_server' s own tmp and log files and stopped Joomla!'s own requirement for its own version of these directories from being available.

You need to access with your ftp manager again and CAREFULLY remove all the Joomla! files you uploaded BUT DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE the cgi.bin, cgi.php, htdocs, Log or TMP directories that are there.

Then open a new archive of the Joomla files on your computer and upload these to the HTDOCS directory.
11-05-2012 21-58-42.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muckky
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by muckky » Mon May 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Thank you. Yes, I contacted my hosting company and they said to move all to htdocs as well. I have done that and it I get the joomla installation language screen finally! I'm proceeding with installation right now. Thank you for your assistance!

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”