Moved a site but updates refused

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
tramplord
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Moved a site but updates refused

Post by tramplord » Tue May 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi,

This may be an installation issue, hence I'm on this board.

I moved a 2.5 site by using Akeeba, from one server to another, it went well. Except that post the move, when I noticed that JCE and some other things needed updated, the backup copy won't accept them. The message I get is an 'Invalid extension update' message, every time. They are all .xml extensions, Akeeba, JCE etc.

I've not seen this before using Akeeba to move sites, so I'm not sure. The site is now one subdomian of many on a server already hosting lots of 2.5 sites I've already moved there this way.

I'm working on this but any input would be appreciated!

Tramplord
Last edited by humvee on Thu May 17, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as resolved

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Moved a site but updates refused

Post by humvee » Tue May 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Prior to updating did everything work properly? Access etc, adding articles?

Has this site been created with a separate database - or the same database as others but with different db prefix? Is there a chance, if you did it this way, that it is referencing another sites prefix?

Have you tried "Fixing" the database from the Extension Manager->Database Menu?

Have you considered running the updates locally before then uploading with Akeeba again?

tramplord
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tramplord » Tue May 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Prior to updating did everything work properly? Access etc, adding articles?
Thanks, great question. I transferred the site un-updated but just now I went back to the first site and updated it and that worked (JCE, Akeeba and Joomla 2.5.2 to .4, and everything on the site is working great.

Has this site been created with a separate database - or the same database as others but with different db prefix? Is there a chance, if you did it this way, that it is referencing another sites prefix?

I made a new DB for it on the new server; I can't find any options menu in Global that doesn't contain the right info about the DB.

Have you tried "Fixing" the database from the Extension Manager->Database Menu?

Yes, I did try that though I don't really know what it does. It had the same info before as it did after though. The one thing that DID do was update the 2.5.2 to .4 on the new site location, though JCE and Akeeba still give for example an
Update: :Extension: Could not open http://nocdn.akeebabackup.com/updates/abcore.xml Invalid extension update

message.

Have you considered running the updates locally before then uploading with Akeeba again?

This is definitely what I'm going to do but I'll be interested to see if the problem comes up again. I guess I'll be back here if it does ;)

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Tramplord

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue May 15, 2012 4:19 pm

tramplord wrote:This is definitely what I'm going to do but I'll be interested to see if the problem comes up again. I guess I'll be back here if it does ;)
Definitely my preferred option - always as a starting point to problem resolution. Let us know how it goes.

tramplord
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tramplord » Wed May 16, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi,

Yes, I moved it again after updates, that may have been a good idea to begin with :-[

Sometimes when I do Akeeba kickstarts, the links don't work - this is such a small site it doesn't matter. I did fix this prob before, but can't remember how now! Not to worry, thanks for your help, that pesky site is archived now (if you're interested: http://peterburnett.info/leamington/ from leamingtonbooks.co.uk )

Bye,

Peter

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu May 17, 2012 2:25 am

Glad it worked out for you. Marking as resolved.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”