Moving from a Server to Localhost

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jazzzbo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Moving from a Server to Localhost

Post by jazzzbo » Wed May 16, 2012 8:28 pm

I am trying to copy my current hosted site to xampp on my desktop computer.

Here's what I've done:
1. I set up Joomla 2.5.4 in xampp/htdocs. It works.
2. I then set up a directory for my website in xampp/htdocs/CCBL*
a. I used Filezilla and downloaded the files (note: the server has Joomla 1.7.0 installed)
b. I then used phpmyadmin on the server to export the database.
c. I created a database on my localhost using localhost/phpmyadmin, and imported the database.

I thought it would all work, but when I try to enter localhost/ccbl, I get the directory structure shown in the attachment.

I'm pretty sure I have a directory problem...

What is the smartest thing to do at this point?
1. Forget about it and go golfing
2. Move the files from xampp/htdocs/CCBL to xampp/htdocs, overwriting the 2.5.4 files and then re-loading joomla 2.5.4 on top.
3. Something else

I would really appreciate some good advice and/or an explanation of what I did wrong.

(* BTW, the reason that I set up the xampp/htdocs/CCBL folder is because I wanted to set up another site I support in another folder, xampp/htdocs/JATC)

Many thanks for any advice.

Jim Berglund
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Berglund
Calgary, AB, Canada

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Moving from a Server to Localhost

Post by humvee » Thu May 17, 2012 2:35 am

Download and install the Akeeba Backup extension to your remote site and follow the detailed instructions from the developers site to use this extension properly. Rerun the move using this instead.

jazzzbo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jazzzbo » Thu May 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Alas - I tried this fist. It resulted in having to restore my system. After 3 tries, I gave up.

I'm not closed-minded on this, but I would like to succeed at doing this transfer one way or another in the forseeable future.

If I try Akeeba again, do I do the kikback to my xampp/htdocs forlder or the xampp/htdocs/CCBL folder

Someone on this forum must be good at this and be able to answer my questions.
Jim Berglund
Calgary, AB, Canada

Sean Clement
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Sean Clement » Thu May 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Download Akeeba Backup 3.4.3(Stable). That version should install in your website. Run the backup process and then download the '.jpa' file to your your local machine.

Put the '.jpa' with 'xampp/htdocs/ccbl/'.

Then you will need to download Akeeba Kickstart from the below link.

Once you have downloaded Akeeba Kickstart put the kickstart.php in the same location as the '.jpa' (xampp/htdocs/ccbl/).

Then go to 'http://localhost/ccbl/kickstart.php' and follow all the steps filling in all the information when asked.

If the process is a success then your site should start working immediately.
Sean Clement
Joomla! Extension Developer - Joomla! Security Experts
https://www.orangehatstudios.com/ - https://www.design-stripe.co.uk/services/web-design/

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”