Moved site to root directory - Locked out of Admin Panel

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
overboard27
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Moved site to root directory - Locked out of Admin Panel

Post by overboard27 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:46 am

I simply moved a Joomla 1.6 site from a subdirectory to the root; no change of servers. Upon doing so, I suddenly found I was locked out of the Admin panel. ("Username and Password do not match.) The configuration.php file has the 644 permissions and the paths are correct. Directories on the server have 755 permissions.

The site displays well, but I am entirely locked out of the Admin panel. Hosting company is no help. Does anyone have a workaround or solution?

Thanks! :laugh:

6mtua5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Moved site to root directory - Locked out of Admin Panel

Post by 6mtua5 » Fri May 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Did you make sure to change everything that you needed to in the configuration file?

If so, you may want to try and go into the database itself and put in a new password just to try and see if it is actually comparing the password value how it should. The database holds the values of the MD5 hash of the password, so you will need to use a site like MD5 Hash Generator to create the hash value of the plain text password you want to use.

Example:
Password "admin" goes to "21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3"
Password "test1234" goes to "16d7a4fca7442dda3ad93c9a726597e4"

So you would need to put in the long string of letters and numbers into the password field for the admin user.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”