Need Help With Database Transfer

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
ntonline
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Need Help With Database Transfer

Post by ntonline » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi there,

I have a website located on the root domain and am in the process of redeveloping the site on a sub-domain. Both sites are running the latest version of Joomla 2.5. Both sites are obviously running on the same server. Both sites are also running the same version of PHP.

I need to copy the following content from the old to the new site:
  • Menus
    Categories
    Articles
    Featured Articles
    Media
    Users
    User Groups
My concern is that both sites use a different Database Name and a different Database Tables Prefix. If I copy the information from the old site using phpMyAdmin from the old site to the new site, will the new site still function properly? Or do I need to modify the tables in some way before I migrate the new tables to the new site?

Thanks for the help!

ntonline
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Need Help With Database Transfer

Post by ntonline » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:38 pm

I figured out how to transfer the data over to the new site. The table names do need to match the table names of the new site.

A new issue has come up, however. I am no longer able to sign in to the front-end or the back-end of the site using the new user table. Does anyone know how to fix this?

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Need Help With Database Transfer

Post by humvee » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:01 am

Remember that the Joomla Username and Password that you are now going to be using are the same as you used on the old site and not the ones you used on the new site during its creation.
http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_recov ... assword%3F

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”