"Access denied." in Sub Domain

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
keekwai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

"Access denied." in Sub Domain

Post by keekwai » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:40 am

I have a 2.5 Joomla installation in the root directory of eslinacup.com

I just created a subdomain ... tmark.eslinacup.com and installed another instance of Joomla there.

However ... when I go to tmark.eslinacup.com I get a blank page with an "Access denied" message.

If I go to tmark.eslinacup.com/index.php ... it works.

I'm guessing I need to do something with a htaccess file ... but have no idea what.

Any ideas?

Thanks ... :)

PS ... No problem in accessing the Admin area directly.
Last edited by humvee on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as resolved as per OP

keekwai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: "Access denied." in Sub Domain

Post by keekwai » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:09 am

Well this is strange!

I changed "#RewriteBase /" to "RewriteBase /tmark" in the htaccess (changed it to .htaccess) and it just made things worse with "Server error" messages.

I deleted the htaccess ... uploaded the original htaccess.txt to put everything back the way it was ... went to tmark.eslinacup.com (no /index.php) ... and it worked!

What's the story????

keekwai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by keekwai » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:43 am

Well that didn't last long! It's back to the "Access denied" message again!

So ... what do I have to do to the htaccess file? (If that's the solution that is)

:)

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Apologies for the late response to this thread. Am I to assume that you have now resolved the issue you were encountering?
If you have please report the actions taken so others can benefit from it.
If not please let us know and please run the Forum Post Assistant to provide the information to help us try and resolve the issue.
Please follow the instructions in the post and the program pack closely

keekwai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by keekwai » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:03 pm

Sorry. Completely forgot about this thread. After a dozen or so exchanges back and forth between my hosting company and myself ... I found out that their servers are a victim of demonic possession.

The sub I created was called "tmark.eslinacup.com" Simply would not work. Support created another sub called "test.eslinacup.com" which had no problems. I also created subs called "abc", "xxx" and "aardvaark" ... All of them with no problems.

ONLY the sub called "tmark" had problems ... no matter how many times I or support deleted it and re-created it. Hence the "demonic possession" diagnosis.

I have now created one called "teachermark.eslinacup" .... and everything is working perfectly.

:)

brains835
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by brains835 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:53 am

fixed my problem.. thank you

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:16 am

This is just clutching at straws with no real fact to support it but tmark is often shorthand for trademark so whether the server is misinterpreting the name in some way?? but as I say real stab in the dark!
Anyway thanks for returning with the explanation of the recovery from this.

Postscript:
Just for the hell of it tried this on shared hosting and the name was accepted fine. So it may somehow being something to do with your host?

keekwai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by keekwai » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:04 am

humvee wrote:This is just clutching at straws with no real fact to support it but tmark is often shorthand for trademark
Wow! I said EXACTLY the same thing to support. I thought there might have been some filter preventing it from being accessed.

But they said there were no filters in place that would do that.

Demonic Possession is still the only explanation so far.

:eek:

keekwai
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by keekwai » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:08 am

humvee wrote:So it may somehow being something to do with your host?
They swore till they were blue in the face that there were no problems on their end. I live in Thailand. I got a mate in Australia to try and access it. No go. So it wasn't an ISP issue either.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”