Apache won't start XAMPP

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
WLTR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Apache won't start XAMPP

Post by WLTR » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Hey everyone,

I just bought a Joomla template and downloaded the Joomla 2.5.8 package and wanted to see how it all works, so I downloaded XAMPP hoping to first configure the entire website offline.

Long story short: I created a map called Joomla in xampp/htdocs, I start the XAMPP control panel but I can't get Apache to work: Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.

Code: Select all

13:38:57  [Apache] 	Attempting to start Apache app...
13:38:57  [Apache] 	Status change detected: running
13:38:57  [Apache] 	Status change detected: stopped
13:38:57  [Apache] 	Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.
13:38:57  [Apache] 	This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies, 
13:38:57  [Apache] 	improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
13:38:57  [Apache] 	Check the "/xampp/apache/logs/error.log" file
13:38:57  [Apache] 	and the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
I have unchecked the port 88 in Skype and even closed Skype entirely... What can be the problem here?

PS: I'm using Windows 7 and MySQL seems to work fine, the User Account Control settings UAC are set to 'never notify'.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Apache won't start XAMPP

Post by humvee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:32 pm

WLTR wrote:Long story short: I created a map called Joomla in xampp/htdocs, I start the XAMPP control panel but I can't get Apache to work: Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.
Why and how have you "created a map" you simply install XAMPP following their instructions particularly on Windows.

That said you seem to be experiencing the same shared issue that many other users of the latest 1.8.1 versions of XAMPP are experiencing and there appears to be an issue - I believe - with the Control Panel of XAMPP in this release.

I would suggest either uninstalling 1.8.1 and obtaining 1.8.0 and using that instead or take the whole issue up with Apache Friends on their forums and join the many others that have already posted many different examples of issues arising with this latest release.

WLTR
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by WLTR » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Hey Humvee, thanks for replying!

As I am still quite 'noob' at Joomla and installing it, I followed this http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=2a_lWDIRUMo tutorial. At min 1:14 it says 'create a folder called joomla', so I did.

I will try to uninstall this version of XAMPP and download one the previous ones, hopefully that solves the problem!

UPDATE: Ha! Looks like Apache is working now! Thanks a lot!

PROBLEM SOLVED

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Not necessarily solved as there does appear to be an intermittent aspect to the issue see my comments on the issue here: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 8#p2939855 and on the ApacheFriends forums - link in that thread.

I still recommend my original suggestion for now as this version has given me trouble free use for months now, whereas, as you will see, I and many others experience issues with 1.8.1 (I have been using XAMPP for many years now too! This has only been the second release ever to cause me issues of its own making.)

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”