Can an older version members list be imported into 2.5

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Nemo10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can an older version members list be imported into 2.5

Post by Nemo10 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:30 pm

I had a Ver. 1.5 site running for three years and nary a problem to speak of but for the inability to be able to upgrade the version for some reason.

Anyway, I'm setting up all over with a new clean install of 2.5 and with the latest Kunena.

There are a huge amount of postings ( it a technical hobby site) that I'm prepared to let go but the large (1500+) membership listings would be a big relief if they could be brought over.

Is this possible ? I appreciate that the database structure under Joomla is way outside my ken.

Thanks!

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Can an older version members list be imported into 2.5

Post by andypooz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:35 pm

I've never done this before, but I dare say it's possible.
If you search Google you'll find ways of moving 1.5 users to 2.5.
In order to know how to migrate your forum posts, we'd need to look at akeeba's table structure. I suggest you post a message on their forum to see if anyone has done this before (almost certainly a yes). They should be able to give you some pointers and save you some time.
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

Nemo10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nemo10 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks Andy, that's both good advice and encouraging..

Nemo10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nemo10 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:21 pm

While we haven't tried it on the new installation just yet, using "Userport" extension we have been able to extract all membership details as a csv file and import it into Excel. This is worth having anyway as the admin can view user details easily offline. Naturally the program does a lot more than that but as out 1.5 installation was corrupted in certain areas, User manager and Global Settings are both not accessible. If all goes well we will be able to get the full membership into the new installation successfully.

ozneilau
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by ozneilau » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:44 pm

For posts to be attributed to the correct users, you need to ensure that user IDs are preserved in the migration.

I haven't used Userpost and am not sure if user IDs are preserved but I have used SP Upgrade on a Joomla/Kunena website and this does a fine job of helping to migrate users correctly.

Neil.

Edit: Never mind, I didn't realise you are prepared to ditch the existing posts. Note that you probably don't have to though. Migrating Kunena is not expecially hard. There are some instructions here: http://webilicious.com.au/kunena-migration

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Nemo10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nemo10 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks for that latest info.. I'm about to do some test work before actually implementing the new installation for members access.
The Userport extraction does preserve user ID, in Excel it's all there!
I notice the password column is just a very long string of alphanumerics. I don't need to know those, really, as I've already reprocessed one User on the current, flawed working version by just using the "forgot password" method and it worked nicely. While I realise that my older versions do not qualify for support and so I'm not asking directly for help, the backend is not listing the User page at all, just stays blank, and the global configuration screen comes up with "Fatal error: Cannot make non static method JCacheStorage::test() static in class JCacheStorageCachelite in /home/mikefiel/public_html/shipshaperc/libraries/joomla/cache/storage/cachelite.php on line 334"
Since I can't get into that I am unable to take the site offline at all in this period of uncertainty with the flawed version running. It would be great to be able to get around that for the present until I get the new version up and away.
Is there any way to achieve this for now?

Anyway, thanks for the help, I don't feel so one-legged anymore

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:08 pm

What version of 1.5?

Update to the latest 1.5.26 and it will run on php 5.3.

Nemo10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nemo10 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:04 pm

It is 1.5.26.. Kunena 1.7.1

Markstein
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by Markstein » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:16 am

Nemo10 wrote: Since I can't get into that I am unable to take the site offline at all in this period of uncertainty with the flawed version running. It would be great to be able to get around that for the present until I get the new version up and away.
Is there any way to achieve this for now?
Use your FTP program to download configuration.php.

Change 0 to 1:

Code: Select all

var $offline = '0';
Reupload and overwrite.

Mark

Nemo10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nemo10 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:58 am

Thanks Mark, another step gained..

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:21 am

re your cache lite issue - try this
labossiere wrote:I found a way to solve the problem with this issue :laugh:

Follow the path to /public_html/libraries/joomla/cache/storage/cachelite.php

and temporarily name the file cachelite.ph

Joomla will now allow you to log on to back end there will be some errors but this is ok.

Go to your global configuration, under system you will see the cache option. Enable progressive caching hit save and the errors will disappear and rename your file back to cachelite.php

I put mine back to NO Caching ht save and have had no issues.

Also make sure you have a cache file under administrator/cache
or from sql - disable the plugin

or http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 9#p2682799
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Nemo10
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Nemo10 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Thank you mandville..
I , well I'll say we, as there are two of us in admin, are getting closer to running a trial to test the following.

a: Complete fresh install of latest Joomla and Kunena versions. I've done this for another site and it works flawlessly, as expected.

b: Migrate the entire 850 user data from the existing to the new. ( do that and we'll be happy enough)

c: Migrate all the data from some 16000 postings to the new.

I'm the forum Admin and I'm planning on moving all those categories of posts into a new one called Archives and make that Read Only but still covered by general searching.
New categories will be created for normal ongoing postings.

If the old data cannot be successfully imported then we'll keep a private copy of the current installation running elsewhere for a while so some of the more useful, long term interest postings can be got over the hard way. That's the plan ;) The site under discussion is http://www.shipshaperc.com

We appreciate the help, greatly.

bogdan69
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bogdan69 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks for the solution, I've been struggling to import a member list. I will try this for Joomla 3.0
Custom CMS Themes http://www.mlbthemes.com

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”