Admin page won't load after fresh install

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
aridavid5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Admin page won't load after fresh install

Post by aridavid5 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi,

This is my first time using Joomla, also I'm not an experienced web programmer. I only know the basics of programming, because I took the first 2 years of a comp-sci bachelors. The think is I did the install and everything seemed to go smoothly. I did however rename the "installation" folder to "BAK_Installation" instead of deleting it. The main page opened with the default sample in it, however the administrator page gave me the following error message:

Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving ****/administrator/. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

Any ideas on what I might have messed up?

Thanks for all your help.

-AriDavid
Last edited by aridavid5 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrankZoid
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Admin page won't load after fresh install

Post by FrankZoid » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:36 pm

It might be easier to just go back and reinstall, and delete the installation folder as is expected, rather than trying to debug your issue. I see no reason that you would need to keep the installation folder.

Ankit Mathur
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Ankit Mathur » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi,
After installing Joomla you are supposed to delete the installation folder. I would suggest you to do that first. If this doesn't work, reinstallation is suggested. Also, you don't have any data to loose because of trashing the current kit so, you can trash with ease.

After fresh installation, it may be required to give appropriate permissions (just to access the newly installed joomla kit) to the path where you installed Joomla.
With Kind Regards,
Ready Bytes Software Labs
Joomla Shopping Cart: http://www.readybytes.net/paycart.html

aridavid5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aridavid5 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks guys!

I deleted the whole Joomla folder, remade it, extracted the Joomla package, re-installed and removed the installation folder and everything works. :)

Ankit Mathur
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Ankit Mathur » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 pm

aridavid5 wrote:Thanks guys!

I deleted the whole Joomla folder, remade it, extracted the Joomla package, re-installed and removed the installation folder and everything works. :)
Great work done.
Thanks for your status update :)
With Kind Regards,
Ready Bytes Software Labs
Joomla Shopping Cart: http://www.readybytes.net/paycart.html

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:26 pm

That means there must have been something wrong with the administrator folder. The second time probably didn't have these problems. One thing is certain, it wasn't caused by renaming the installation folder. That is something I allways do for later reference. Never ever this caused a problem for the admin site.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

aridavid5
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aridavid5 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:14 pm

Honestly I think it was because I made the sub-directory linked to the site folder after I had already created it with the extraction. Maybe it changed some file, cause the sub-directory link wasn't working either. This time I made the sub-directory first then extracted then installed (through the sub-directory link)

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”