Reinstalling J 2.5

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Airwreck
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Reinstalling J 2.5

Post by Airwreck » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:42 pm

Went to upgrade my 2.5 site to 3.4.. turned into a problem.. oh well

I have been trying to fix the backend with some small success but after what I thought was a fix long enuff to remove incompatible addons.. it log me out and now I can't get back in.

So instead of fighting this battle to get back in I am wondering if I can just reinstall 2.5 and maybe this will fix 80% of the problems so I can then go ahead and remove all the things that made the upgrade problem and try again to get to 3.4 or...

Do I have to just blow it all out and start from scratch???

Thanks

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Reinstalling J 2.5

Post by itoctopus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:51 pm

You can revert to Joomla 2.5 provided you have a backup of both the filesystem and the database, you can't just install Joomla 2.5 over Joomla 3.x (if you do, then your website will be in a worse state). Try finding a backup of your old website and reverting back to it - that, in my opinion, is your best option.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

Airwreck
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Reinstalling J 2.5

Post by Airwreck » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Well I did that after doing the upgrade cuz it crashed the site.. couldn't get into the front or backend.. I still have the back up before the upgrade but when I reinstalled the backup.. is when the dam really broke.. GRIN.. tweaked the front end to get it working..

Was not wanting to do a clean install of 3 on 2.5 just was wondering if I upload the files from a 2.5 on the site and rerun the install if that would work..

Humm if I backup the DB before that reinstall of 2.5 and restored the DB I should get all the setting again.. Correct?? am I thinking right???

I don't think i I can extract ONLY the DB from the full site backup file.. but maybe if I talk to the server folks they may know some voodoo that I don't..

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”