Blank page after login in administrator backend!

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
panoramix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Blank page after login in administrator backend!

Post by panoramix » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi all!

just a little while back i created a website in joomla 2.5 and everything worked fine. when i tried logging in though a couple of days ago, I couldn't enter the administrator backend. The normal login page appears, I'm entering the login details but all I can see is a blank white page with the following source code:
<html><head><style type="text/css"></style></head><body></body></html>

I have enabled error reporting but nothing comes up, and also I have added several echo commands in administrator/index.php file and all of them show up correctly!

I have tried to:
1. Erase the records from the sessions table inside the joomla database.
2. Disable several modules even though I am not sure if and which one could be causing this problem. The access and error logs from plesk panel don't show something themselves.
3. Rename remember.php and joomla.php because I read somewhere that they may be part of the problem in case I have upgraded joomla engine 2.5 to 3.x, which I haven't.
4. Create a new power user directly in the database and login with those codes but the same thing happens.
5. Edit the .htaccess file found in the site's root, added/removed records and eventually the file itself.
6. Restore the website to one of its earlier implementations through my domain provider service, but the problem remains.

Anyone with the slightest idea about what is happening? I really don't have the time to redo the whole website and it is quite important that it is updated soon.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you!

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Blank page after login in administrator backend!

Post by itoctopus » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:45 pm

I can think of several reasons:

- Messed up ACL
- An update to PHP/MySQL on the server
- The website is hacked
- Some directories are missing (those having to do with login)
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

panoramix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by panoramix » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:31 pm

And how would I go about checking if one of these has occurred? And their solution would be? Especially concerning being hacked..

jackrabbit
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jackrabbit » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:04 pm

The fact that there are session entries means that the login is processing correctly. The error is on the admin dashboard page. An extension has failed.

Edit configuration.php and set error reporting to development

Code: Select all

public $error_reporting = 'development';
Do not make any edits to administrator/index.php or any other files. Reset them to original.

Go back to admin and if you do not see any error messages, try;
- Go to your hosting control panel and check the folder and file permissions of admin. Folders should be 755 and files 644.

If permissions are correct, try an elimination process. Via FTP, rename third party modules that load in the admin home page cpanel. eg: administrator/modules/mod_jcomments_latest_backend (I recently had a similar issue with this module), change to xmod_

After each renaming, try to login
Reset Joomla super user password and username simply | http://cmsenergizer.com/website-energy- ... d-remotely

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”