Redirect After Login Does Not Work?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
techivity
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Redirect After Login Does Not Work?

Post by techivity » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:28 am

Hi:

Using Joomla 2.5.22 stable

So I am trying to redirect off the user login:

index.php?option=com_users&view=login

To a forum page:

index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=363&defaultmenu=365&lang=en&view=home

I created a menu item for the login and set the redirect. I used the URL from the menu item to test.

Upon a login it still goes to the user profile page. This seems fairly simple, and I would guess precisely what the redirect field off the login menu item is for, right? Figuring maybe it was having trouble with the forum, I set the redirect to "index.php" and it still goes to the profile page. In fact, it doesn't matter what I put in that field, it goes to the profile page.

What don't I understand? Is there a way to actually redirect upon login to a desired URL? Without installing a custom component or module?

Do I need to code a template override for this? How do I do that? Shouldn't the redirect field off the menu URL work?

Thanks,

John

imarklee
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Redirect After Login Does Not Work?

Post by imarklee » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Hello,

It actually depends on where you are logging in from. If you want the user to be redirected to Kunena upon logging in (assuming that you are using the login module in Joomla), you can configure this by editing the login module. Take a look at my screen shot here, http://screen.stackideas.com/2014-10-30_0247.png
Lead Developer,
https://stackideas.com

techivity
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by techivity » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Yeah, that doesn't work either. The issue is in the account creation process. When a user registers a new account, they get an email to verify that account. The link in the email:

index.php?option=com_users&lang=en&task=registration.activate&token=#############

Has a login field on it (see attached jpg)

When the user logs in from that page, it goes to the profile. Nothing I do seems to change that. I've tried creating a menu item and setting the redirect there, as well as creating a module, and setting it there.

I am dealing with novice users. They will login after clicking the verify link, and the profile page will throw them. Plus, its ugly...

I need to figure out a way to redirect the login after the email verification. Suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

techivity
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by techivity » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:18 am

So, no love on this changing the profile? The problem is specifically after the user account verification email - neither of the established ways (menu item or module properties) have any impact on the user verification process. No matter what I do, the login that follows the verification profess goes to the user profile. How do I change that? Or, barring that, how do i change the text of the user verification email to explain that they won't go where they expect to go?

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”