Global Configuration messed up, buttons not working

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Sarr77
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Global Configuration messed up, buttons not working

Post by Sarr77 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:46 am

Hello!

I've recently installed Joomla 1.6 to work on a brand new site.
The server fulfilled all requirements, only thing that wasn't "green" was "Display Errors".

At first everything looked fine, then I tried set options for playing, and "Save / Save & Close" Buttons weren't working at all.
So I went to see the Global Configuration, and well, I have a mix of all tabs in one, it seems. Buttons still aren't working, so I can't set or save any settings.

Please look at those screens:
This is Joomla 1.5 on same server (Admin Praise template, but all work flawlessly).

Image Image Image Image
Joomla 1.6 Global Configuration. Joomla Praise for 1.6 is messed up too.

Strange thing, that it happens only on Firefox, it seems, but it's my favorite and most used browser. On Opera all looks like well, check out:

I'm using the latest FireFox, 3.6.13.

Thanks for any help!
Sarr
Polish D&D Online Portal (joomla): http://www.ddopl.com
DDOpl on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/DDOpl/188970980786

jthrongard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Global Configuration messed up, buttons not working

Post by jthrongard » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:59 pm

I am getting something very similar. Everything looks great in the /jupgade/ folder but when I move 1.6 to the root folder, no lightboxes or javascript (i'm guessing it's javascript) work. When I click on something that opens up a lightbox normally, instead the browser navigates to the page, no lightbox. My global config is just as messed up as yours. The javascript is not working at all their either....

Help us!
Small Business Joomla! Website Design - Simple CMS Design
http://www.simplecmsdesign.com

a_khan69
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by a_khan69 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Did you guys figure this out?

I'm experiencing the same problem.

Was working fine in /subdirectory

Move to root and then problems.

Cannot save, edit, cancel etc.

TinyMCE not showing in the frontend. Cannot save there either.

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=622&t=612114

concreteseller
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by concreteseller » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 pm

I am having what appears to be the same issue, though I can access config and add users through http://server.com/~user/administrator with no issues. Also can't use mod_rewrite or all links break, maybe related and think this may have happened during setup. 30 other sites same setup, no issues. Reinstalled several times completely with and without backup data. Of course this is the one site that is important to me
John Mack
http://www.lowestbidder.net
Rule 62
Get Over Yourself

ossiram
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ossiram » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 pm

I have the same errors :(

Does anybody have an solution for this? I builing an new page at the moment and now i cant work on that :'(

btw. sorry for my bad english ;)

a_khan69
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by a_khan69 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:26 pm

After looking at the images from the original poster, i can see that his directory is titled according to his domain name which is similar to how the directory is named in my case.

eg. Users/Sites/mydomain.com/tmp
eg. Users/Sites/mydomain.com/logs

Could this somehow have an effect?

Yet, it works perfectly fine when the site is in the subdirectory

eg. Users/Sites/mydomain.com/sub/tmp
eg. Users/Sites/mydomain.com/sub/logs

jthrongard
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jthrongard » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:35 pm

I just gave up on 1.6. It's not something I can hold to the standards of 1.5. Still needs quite a bit of work. Once I got everything "working" I'd still get red Xes all over the place or green checkmarks whenever something was saved. Bring on 1.7!!!
Small Business Joomla! Website Design - Simple CMS Design
http://www.simplecmsdesign.com

znichols1981
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by znichols1981 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Has anyone been able to resolve this problem? It is really absurd. I have now been at war with GoDaddy for four days, believing it is their fault that my 1.6 installation is broken. Perhaps it is, since they are responsible for providing me with CMS installations. But I thought it was fishy that GoDaddy only offered a 1.6 fresh install, rather than an update----this has considerably complicated the situation, since I already swapped out version 1.5, and there is no way to roll it back, or access the previous versio (not through GoDaddy, it's not).

By now, I'm just pissed. My site's been offline for three days, and after GoDaddy has done all they can do, I am starting to realize this is Joomla's deal.

My Global Configuration screen is completely innocuous. Therefore, not only has my site been offline, but I am unable to mount any notification to indicate, "This website is under construction". It's just a 403 disaster. I am extremely upset.

Can someone from Joomla please explain why this is happening to certain users? And how we can fix it, maybe?

vespera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vespera » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:33 pm

I have the same problem, except that Firefox version is 3.6.16.
I have two installations of J16 - the one in the subdir works OK, the one installed in root gets messed up just like on the pictures above.
If I click "reload skip cache" the page shows correctly. I've installed and reinstalled several times - from ver 1.6.0 to 1.6.2, and even copied the J16 site from the subdir (created backup with Akeeba).
The sites in the root and subdir are using different databases, usernames and passwords.
But, I've noticed that it's not just the global config that get's messed up - some other admin pages don't work as they should (save&close button doesn't work, but close does), that is, if I "reload skup cache" they work as they should - until I close the page and open it again - then I have to "reload skip cache" again - plain "reload" in FF won't do a thing.
When the global config page is messed up I find the following in the error console, that I suspect could have something to do with the messed up admin pages:

Error: Window.onDomReady is not a function
Source file: .../media/system/js/validate.js
Line: 164
this actually points to:
document.formvalidator = null;
Window.onDomReady(function(){
document.formvalidator = new JFormValidator();
});

then there are two warnings:
Warning: assignment to undeclared variable toggler
Source file: .../media/system/js/switcher.js
Line: 95 and Line: 96

An another error:
Error: $ES is not defined
Source file: .../media/system/js/switcher.js
Line: 36
that actually points to a line
togglers = $ES('a', toggler);

When I reload the page skipping cache, it shows OK. The only things left in the error console then are two warnings:
Warning: assignment to undeclared variable toggler
Source file: .../administrator/index.php?option=com_config
Line: 26 and Line: 27
It actually points to this declarations:
toggler = document.id('submenu');
element = document.id('config-document');

Has anybody found a solution yet?

vespera
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by vespera » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Don't know if this solution will last, but I just disabled Google Gears extension in Firefox, and the global config page loaded OK.
The error console still shows the two warnings:
assignment to undeclared variable toggler
Source file: .../administrator/index.php?option=com_config Line: 26 and Line: 27, (which probably isn't anything to be concerned about).
but the two errors pointing to validate.js and switcher.js are gone.

johnmoree
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by johnmoree » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:14 am

Just to support the same issue - trying to turn off the hits display in global and in individual articles in joomla 1.6 plus. (nothing helping) really don't want to do the quick fixes because this is or should be a standard update fix. - ( of cause I did save my old site and reinstalled it in 10 minutes) - I await for a better version. _ errors after the update were too many to fix - I think if you have only a few extensions in 1.5 the update might be better-

Helvecio
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Helvecio » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:56 pm

I'm having this issue with FF 4.0.1 in a Mac.

In Safari, the problem goes away.

It seems FF is ignoring some script that loads the page as it should.
Helvecio "Elvis" da Silva
Graphic and Web Designer
Joomla Website Developer
http://hlvc.design

xdoktor
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by xdoktor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi all,

I too had the Config page layout problem as described here in Firefox 5 after a fresh install of Joomla! 1.6.4

The problem was solved after setting the correct folder permissions using CHMOD :-)
Open your site in IExplorer and check which folders need CHMOD (writable)
USe your trusted FTP prog to change the folder permissions and for me all was working!!

Layout if FF5 working fine now!

hope this helps.

cheers
Dok

grandslamjmh
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grandslamjmh » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 am

didnt help me :(

Im all messed up on joomla 1.7

the permissions section of com_config overlaps the right section on the page. I cant switch between the tabs.

and Internet Explorer it just has every sing tab opened up all on one page.

GoremanX
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by GoremanX » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Had the same problem, finally got it figured out on my end. I can't believe no devs have tackled this issue yet, whether here on the forum or in the code itself.

It's going to be a much more frequent problem with the upcoming J1.5 to J1.7 migrations.

Basically, if you're moving the site from a subdirectory to a new directory that's not at the same level, some parts of the administration break. This can also be caused by file permissions issues. The symptoms I found were: broken Global Configuration page (as described by everyone here), missing background images and colours in places, etc. I think it's just a missing stylesheet that's lost because of the new directory location. The easiest solution:

Download a new copy of Joomla (same version you're trying to fix) and unzip it on top of the old one. Your configuration.php and .htaccess files will not be overwritten, and your database will remain untouched. If you've got any hacks in the core Joomla files (which you never should anyways), then those will be overwritten. Any hacks to extensions will remain untouched. Once you've replaced the installation:

- delete the "installation" directory (you don't need it, Joomla is already installed)
- clear your browser's cache
- try the Global Configuration page again

You may need to hold Shift while clicking reload on the Global Configuration page to make sure the browser's cache is really gone. This fixed the problem for me, and now everything runs smoothly.

chankartat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chankartat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 pm

I have exactly the same problem and now it's solved! I suspect the problem was caused by Firefox caching all javascripts under "/jupgrade/media/system/js" folder and did not refresh after those files moved to joomla root folder (eg: /media/system/js).

It happens after using JUpgrade to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.7.3. I performed the whole upgrade process viewing from Firefox 9.0.1 using my first laptop. After moving files under /jupgrade to joomla root, I got all the same symptoms of Admin pages messed-up like you guys -eg: tabs all showing in a page in Global-Config, save buttons won't save, modal pop-ups won't pop-up, images won't insert, etc...

Then when I try using my second laptop viewing with both IE8 and Firefox 9, all the Admin pages works fine again. I have not used before my second laptop to access the Admin pages. I DID NOT try any of the solution suggested by others on this thread.

Good luck !

denisetech
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by denisetech » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:05 pm

After doing some debugging, here's what I've found...

Problem: For the Joomla 2.50 and 2.5.1 installation on one of my hosting account (lets say host1), when you go to the back end admin side and click on Global Configuration, a weird, unstyled page shows up. You can see some global settings there, but the page is unstyled and impossible to save even the settings that you see.

For the Joomla 2.5.1 (I suppose also 2.5.0) installation on my other hosting account (lets say host2), everything works smooth like butter! No issue whatsoever. Interesting.

Solution: Getting back to the host1, I reviewed the files directory and noticed that in each and every directory there was a php.ini file. This is unusual because my other installations do not have this by default. On my host I reviewed the error_log and found that it was picking up errors in the php.ini file of that respective directory.... i think it was /libraries/joomla/database.. diirectory. I deleted that file and a few other php.ini files in the parent and subfolders.
I checked global config page again and the issue was gone! I raised a support ticket for my hosting company to help me sort out why for the 2.5.0/1 installations, I'm getting these php.ini files.
>>>>CAUTION<<<<<
You may want to be careful about deleting your php.ini file in your main directory or any where else that you are sure you want them to be.
I went back on my site and it seems a bit unstable, so I'm going to reinstall the package and take a more low level look at the php.ini.
>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<
Now the root problem, may very well be from the host1 server config, and hopefully I will get to the bottom of this. However the surface issue may be that the installation may be restricted by php configs on your system.

Two key things I've learned through this
1 - If there's an error icon in your browser, review it, first
2 - Always check your error logs on your servers
Most times these actions take us to the root cause quicker than first copying over install files and re-installing.

peace
Denise

denisetech
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by denisetech » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Here's an update to this...
There are some comments in the php.ini file that is causing a parsing error. After re-installing, I triggered the same issue I was having, went to the error log and saw this...
[02-Mar-2012 10:29:54] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ',' in /home3/.../public_html/.../libraries/joomla/database/database/php.ini on line 122

I removed the comment and everything worked fine. Ultimately, this was a php parsing issue in my case. I still have to figure out why duplicate php.ini files are in every folder and subfolder of this installation, but the global config page is fixed with minimal change... I just removed the problematic comment...

This was the comment:
; Allow the <? tag. Otherwise, only <?php and <script> tags are recognized.

denisetech
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by denisetech » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Ok there's a setting on the server to utilize one php.ini file. CHanged the setting, removed the problematic comment line in the main php.ini then re-installed 2.5.1. No more duplicate php.ini files and global config works fine.

Fatworm
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Fatworm » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:14 am

Just a quick note to let you know that I can confirm chankartat's experience - same worked for me.

I moved the site from sub directory to main directory, global config (and a few other bits) screwed up on Firefox on Mac but okay on other machines not previously used for admin. (I wasn't upgrading - just moving)

I installed the Web Developer Toolbar add-on, menu option Miscellaneous, Clear Private Data, Clear Cache.

All is now fine. No updates at all required to anything physically on the server. I'm using Joomla 2.5

Hope this helps someone as it is always scary when you move your site and something screws! :eek:

lawyermarketing
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lawyermarketing » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:31 pm

In my case, I had to remove all redirects from the .htaccess file. That did the trick. It may have been not needed to remove all of them, but I did not need them anymore anyways.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”