Ordering problem

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Craggie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Ordering problem

Post by Craggie » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:40 pm

I am running 2.5.4. with the sample data set. Setting the order of the articles in the '__Joomla' category seems to have no effect. Indeed, after many attempts to insert a simple bit of text (article) after the Joomla!, Beginners, Upgraders, Professional articles then the order of those articles is unpredictable. Or did I miss something?

Klementz
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Ordering problem

Post by Klementz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Craggie wrote:I am running 2.5.4. with the sample data set. Setting the order of the articles in the '__Joomla' category seems to have no effect. Indeed, after many attempts to insert a simple bit of text (article) after the Joomla!, Beginners, Upgraders, Professional articles then the order of those articles is unpredictable. Or did I miss something?
Are you going to the Article Manager, and clicking the "Ordering" column head to activate ordering, and arranging the articles the way you want there?

Ordering is controlled by the menu item. For example, if the menu is a "Category Blog" type, then under Blog Layout Options on the right-hand side, you would set Article Order to "Article Manager Order" (or what ever you want).
http://www.jdanielclements.com (Personal photography site)
http://www.coinzoo.net (World coin collection with animals)

Craggie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Craggie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:39 am

Yes, I am. What bothers me is the inconsistency of the presentation order; there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which of the four 'featured' articles appear. E.g. I can randomly turn on/off the 'feature' attribute of any of the four then reset the attribute and the result will be different. Similarly, I can change the order attribute with no discernible effect.

I don't understand your second point about what controls the order. I'll study that further.

Note this is all about the sample set of data so it's easy to reproduce.

BTW I am located in Burlington, Ontario. I can't see a way to edit my profile (yet) :-)

Thank you for your response.

Klementz
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Klementz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:48 am

For "featured" articles, go to Article Manager and select "Featured Articles" (third choice, along the top). Click the Ordering column to activate, and check the order they are in.

For my second point, open your main menu with the Menu Manager. Open a menu item, for example, Home. On the right-hand side, the first set of options is Layout Options. Near the bottom of the Layout options is a selector for Article Order. This is what controls the order the articles appear in. Choose the option you want.

Craggie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Craggie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Thank you again. Re your first point; that is exactly what I am doing and, I repeat, it has no effect. To be precise: there are four 'featured' articles (3 in the sample + 1 experimental). They are: Joomla!(2), Beginners(4), Professionsl(5), Upgraders(6) and Junk(9) but they appear in the following order: Junk, Joomla, Beginners, Upgraders and Professionals.

On your second point, yes I have done that and in the Home menu the type is 'Featured Articles' and the Article Order is set to 'Featured Articles Order'.

In simple terms: everything appears to be Kosher but it simply does not work.

Klementz
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Klementz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Craggie wrote:there are four 'featured' articles (3 in the sample + 1 experimental). They are: Joomla!(2), Beginners(4), Professionsl(5), Upgraders(6) and Junk(9) but they appear in the following order: Junk, Joomla, Beginners, Upgraders and Professionals.
Are those articles in different categories?

Menu item, "Category Order", change to "no ordering".

Article Manager, Options, Shared Options tab, same setting.

Craggie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Craggie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Nope, they are all in category Joomla! (This is the sample set plus my one and only 'junk' article).

I can find no such menu item as "Category Order" which, I would expect to order categories - not the articles within a single category as is the case here.

The Article manager offers no such options that I can see. This is under Joomla 2.5.4

Craggie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Craggie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Further to my last post: I see the category ordering but Category Joomla! is at the top of the tree anyway and, as noted, the problem is with the order of articles within a single category.

Klementz
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Klementz » Tue May 01, 2012 3:30 pm

I installed a test site with the sample data, and it is working fine for me, so the task at hand is to figure out what you are missing.
I can randomly turn on/off the 'feature' attribute of any of the four then reset the attribute and the result will be different.
If you turn off the "Featured" switch on an article, then turn it back on, it will come back at the top of the list. Are you sure it is random, or is it just going to the top of the list?

Settings for Main Menu... Home are left at default, except number of intro articles which I changed to a higher number so the test article would show.
article_order02.jpg
Articles appear on the home page exactly as set in the Article Manager / Featured Articles section.
article_order01.jpg
Check these two images, and compare to yours and let me know what happens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Craggie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Craggie » Tue May 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Ah! I'm not quite with your first [edit menu item settings] but your second item reveals all! When I have attempted to change the ordering, I did it while looking at Articles - i.e. a view of all of them, not just the Featured Articles. When ordering is changed within the Featured Articles view, it works as you have shown. Conversely, altering the ordering while looking at all Articles has no effect.

So that's what I missed.

Nicely done Klementz. Thank you.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Tue May 01, 2012 9:33 pm

[Mod note: Moved from General Forum to Administrator Forum.]

tramplord
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tramplord » Wed May 16, 2012 6:43 pm

I have had this problem all afternoon, and this thread was really useful, others too. I have 18 featured articles and unchecking them and rechecking them in the order you want them works best ;)

jhen16
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jhen16 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:18 am

Hi

What if the articles are from different categories? I can't also arrange my featured articles even if i click ordering to fix their ordering depending on what i wanted, still no changes

rdhtdr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rdhtdr » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Same here. Still a total mess whatever I do.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”