Unable to connect to LDAP server

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
njjacob
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by njjacob » Tue May 22, 2012 7:07 pm

I am still not able to login to my backend.. I have reinstalled Joomla. its using the latest version, it worked perfectly fine until one day it just stopped. And it keeps saying this error.

Please help

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: ASAP Please: Unable to connect to LDAP server

Post by abernyte » Tue May 22, 2012 7:17 pm

Have you tried what is listed here?
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=615&t=713871
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

njjacob
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by njjacob » Tue May 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Nope, I didnt delete anything, but I tried everything. I even reset the admin password still says Unable to connect to LDAP server. What I noticed in phpAdmin was my user was Registered, not listed at as Super Administrator anymore. My plugin is listed and listed as on as well. here is from the phpMyadmin

402 plg_authentication_ldap plugin ldap authentication 0 1 1 1 {"legacy":false,"name":"plg_authentication_ldap","... {"host":"","port":"389","use_ldapV3":"0","negotiat...

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Wed May 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Why is your LDAP plugin enabled if you are not needing LDAP?
****authentication 0 1 1 1****

Go back into the DB with phpMyAdmin and go to plg_authentication_ldap. Look for the column enabled. It seems to be 1. Edit the row and make it 0. Exit and try to access the Joomla admin area.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

njjacob
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by njjacob » Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 pm

were getting better,, now we have Failed to authenticate: Access Denied

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Fri May 25, 2012 7:43 am

Okay. If you open your database with phpMyadmin and have look in jos_extentions (where jos in the prefix that you use)
On page 2 or 3, look for plg_authentication_joomla. Set enabled to 1 if it is at 0.
Go into jos_extensions and on page 4 this time, check that plg_user_Joomla is also set to 1 enabled.

njjacob
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Unable to connect to LDAP server

Post by njjacob » Fri May 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Everytime I see your avatar, I think there is a bug on my screen..

I checked and they where all already enabled. I went through all plugins to see and everything that should is, and of course the LDAP isnt now.

I'm still stumped. I am truly hoping whatever happened, I do not have to rewrite the whole thing. I mean it might be better, but I do not have the time to care about my own site.

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Fri May 25, 2012 4:01 pm

What I noticed in phpAdmin was my user was Registered, not listed at as Super Administrator anymore
Is this still the case for your Super Admin user?

njjacob
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by njjacob » Wed May 30, 2012 3:12 pm

actually all USERS, which are just me with backups are 'depreciated'

njjacob
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by njjacob » Wed May 30, 2012 3:17 pm

I just did a MD5 generator, and double checked another client, and depreciated was right, so I changed the password in the phpadmin. and I am finally in. abernyte thank you for all your hard work, you made me brainstorm. Ive been working with Joomla for over 4 yrs now and sometime I have a blonde moment as I call it. And since its just my site, there is no hurry.

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Wed May 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Glad that you have it sorted!

Ian156
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Ian156 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:11 am

I have exactly the same problem and have followed the same steps as njjacob.

I would be grateful if you could clarify the last step to your solution. That is, where and how did you change your password in phpMyAdmin?

Ian156
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Ian156 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:22 am

I have now solved the problem. I accessed my Joomla user table and found that my user name and email address had a Joomla table prefix added (the prefix was not my Joomla table prefix)and the field "block" was set to "1". I deleted the prefixes, set block to "0" and generated a hash for a new password and entered this in the table and now I can access my backend!

whyknott
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by whyknott » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:02 pm

What Else can I check? I changed my password using MD5 thru phpmyadmin and also made sure everything in jos_extensions was set to 1 for Enabled (Except LDAP of course) also tried adding a new Super user via the phpmyadmin. I still get the message:

"You do not have access to the administrator section of this site."

I checked my configuration.php file for unwanted spaces and that is not a problem

This happened AFTER I installed a template from template monster. I will contact their support but maybe thought I could find a quicker solution here in the Joomla forum!

Regards!

Mariette
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Mariette » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:38 pm

I have had the same problem for a few weeks now. I am working on Joomla 2.5 (http://www.pollensa-rentals.com). I did not make any edits to the website during that time and for no apparent reason I can't login anymore. None of the users are working (both front and backend) and get the following error:
• Unable to connect to LDAP server
When I try to disable the LDAP plugin through the database admin, there are no changes. If I change manually the name of the plugin ldap.php to ldap-off.php to disable it, I get the following error:
• JAuthentication: :authenticate: Failed to load plugin: plgauthenticationldap
• Failed to authenticate: Access Denied
I looked at the users, all are enabled. I also created a new super-admin through the database, same problem. The joomla user plugin and authentication plugin are also enabled.
Any idea of what is going on? I read somewhere else that this problem could be due to a php update on the server...
Thanks for your help!

Mariette
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Unable to connect to LDAP server - Solved!!!

Post by Mariette » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:16 am

I went through the databases over and over again. I made sure that only the joomla authentication plugin was enabled, that the users were not blocked,... Nothing. I started disabling the last components I had installed, nothing... The error message had changed from "Unable to connect to LDAP server" to "Failed to authenticate: Access Denied". >:(

So here is what happened: Joomla was actually doing a great job at not letting me in because my usernames and passwords were incorrect. The website had been hacked and ALL the usernames and passwords had been changed for "dhitzz"... It took me a while to figure it out but at least the problem is solved! :D All usernames and passwords were reset and I am working now on my security breaches.

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:27 pm

Did anyone get a fix to this? As I've had this problem for weeks and can't get into my site.

Same error message 'unable to connect to LDAP'.

In phpMyAdmin I have set plg_authentication_ldap off (to '0').

Enabled plg_authentication_joomla.

Like Mariette I too had many usernames added, a breach, but I have deleted all of them and changed passwords.

Also created a new admin user. But no change.

Strange thing is, my error message doesn't ever change. Even when ldap is disabled I still get the same 'unable to connect to ldap'. I'm at an utter loss as to what to do. Your help would be massively appreciated!
---------------------------------
N

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Unfortunately deleting the unauthorised users has not removed the hack. In all likelihood there are other files and backdoors on your site.
If you were hacked and did not replace all the files with a clean version of Joomla, clean copy of the template and clean copies of any third party extensions then it is difficult to know where to start.
Do you have an offline ( local) copy of your site to restore to?
Have you run the FPA on your site to see if there are any obvious configuration issues?

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Hi Abernyte,

I got my server provider to upload a previous version of the site but as it's only two weeks old I still have the same issue. I don't want to start from scratch (ie reinstall everything) as the site has lots of material on it and would take an age to rebuild.

My own backup is a little old to be backing up to so I'd prefer to try and rectify the problem and use this option as a complete last resort. (Also for my sanity I'd prefer to figure it out)

I have run FPA and there are no glaring errors, that I can see or know of.

Any help? Thanks for replying!
N

abernyte
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by abernyte » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Replacing all the site files does not mean losing any content. Content and users are all in the database.
You could try installing a clean version of Joomla into a localhost and then installing a clean copy of your template and extensions and then exporting a copy of the live database to install into this offline site.

If the site works then you know what you have to do.

alexandrosp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alexandrosp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:06 am

nicoljcraig wrote:Did anyone get a fix to this? As I've had this problem for weeks and can't get into my site.

Same error message 'unable to connect to LDAP'.

In phpMyAdmin I have set plg_authentication_ldap off (to '0').

Enabled plg_authentication_joomla.

Like Mariette I too had many usernames added, a breach, but I have deleted all of them and changed passwords.

Also created a new admin user. But no change.

Strange thing is, my error message doesn't ever change. Even when ldap is disabled I still get the same 'unable to connect to ldap'. I'm at an utter loss as to what to do. Your help would be massively appreciated!

alexandrosp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alexandrosp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:04 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to login joomla-administrator but I read this message "Unable to connect to LDAP server".
The last time I log in Joomla, by mistake I change all plugin into "disable".
Is that the problem? How can i fix it?

I read same instructions above, but I can't find "plg_authentication_joomla".
Is that a solution?

Its my first time that I'm involved in a website and also the first time that i use a forum for help!
This website is not mine and I m really stressed for my mistake and i don't know what to do!

Thank you in advanced,

Alexandros

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi Alexandrosp,

I think that will be your problem yes. If you disable everything you are also disabling the login mechanism as well (I think). In this case, plg_authentication_joomla.

To access that you have to enter your MySQL Database, usually through something like MyPHPAdmin. Your server provider will be able to guide you in how to access the database.

Once inside enable the plugins you need to.

In the database it'll prob be located: jos (or whatever name you called it)>extensions, then page 2 or 3.

Good luck.
N

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:42 pm

Oh, and for others. I have finally fixed it. Seems like ldap was enabled after all. So jos_extensions, page 3, plg_authentication_ldap, set to '0'.

Use database to create new super user (if hacked like me): http://docs.joomla.org/How_do_you_recov ... assword%3F
N

alexandrosp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by alexandrosp » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:44 pm

I didn't believe that i have so fast ansewer!

Thank you!! It worrks!
There is one more problem...When i log in, I can not see anything (categories,menus,etc..). I see only
I ll really apreciate if you have a solution also for that...

nicoljcraig
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nicoljcraig » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:54 pm

I imagine it'll be because you disabled those as well. In your database you'll have jos_menus, jos_plugins etc and you'll have to enable all the ones you need for your specific site (most prob all the ones you disabled before).
N

Way2exhale
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Way2exhale » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi I seem to have somewhat the same problem, I just recently tried to update to 3.# and had run into some problems. I had my hosting site installed my backup files and now I get the following error message.

JAuthentication: :authenticate: Failed to load plugin: plgauthenticationcookie

I previously had my site down for maintenance and unable to get log into the front end. it now sit with the following error message:
Error

Unknown column 'a.title_alias' in 'field list' SQL=SELECT a.id, a.title, a.alias, a.title_alias, a.introtext, a.checked_out, a.checked_out_time, a.catid, a.created, a.created_by, a.created_by_alias, CASE WHEN a.modified = 0 THEN a.created ELSE a.modified END as modified, a.modified_by, uam.name as modified_by_name,CASE WHEN a.publish_up = 0 THEN a.created ELSE a.publish_up END as publish_up,a.publish_down, a.images, a.urls, a.attribs, a.metadata, a.metakey, a.metadesc, a.access, a.hits, a.xreference, a.featured, LENGTH(a.fulltext) AS readmore,CASE WHEN badcats.id is not null THEN 0 ELSE a.state END AS state,c.title AS category_title, c.path AS category_route, c.access AS category_access, c.alias AS category_alias,CASE WHEN a.created_by_alias > ' ' THEN a.created_by_alias ELSE ua.name END AS author,ua.email AS author_email,( SELECT MAX(contact.id) AS id FROM ugohi_contact_details AS contact WHERE contact.published = 1 AND contact.user_id = a.created_by AND (contact.language in ('en-GB','*') OR contact.language IS NULL)) as contactid,parent.title as parent_title, parent.id as parent_id, parent.path as parent_route, parent.alias as parent_alias,ROUND(v.rating_sum / v.rating_count, 0) AS rating, v.rating_count as rating_count,c.published, CASE WHEN badcats.id is null THEN c.published ELSE 0 END AS parents_published FROM ugohi_content AS a LEFT JOIN ugohi_categories AS c ON c.id = a.catid LEFT JOIN ugohi_users AS ua ON ua.id = a.created_by LEFT JOIN ugohi_users AS uam ON uam.id = a.modified_by LEFT JOIN ugohi_categories as parent ON parent.id = c.parent_id LEFT JOIN ugohi_content_rating AS v ON a.id = v.content_id LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT cat.id as id FROM ugohi_categories AS cat JOIN ugohi_categories AS parent ON cat.lft BETWEEN parent.lft AND parent.rgt WHERE parent.extension = 'com_content' AND parent.published != 1 GROUP BY cat.id ) AS badcats ON badcats.id = c.id INNER JOIN ugohi_content_frontpage AS fp ON fp.content_id = a.id WHERE a.access IN (1,1,2) AND c.access IN (1,1,2) AND CASE WHEN badcats.id is null THEN a.state ELSE 0 END = 1 AND (a.publish_up = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR a.publish_up <= '2015-10-17 20:52:21') AND (a.publish_down = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR a.publish_down >= '2015-10-17 20:52:21') AND a.language in ('en-GB','*') ORDER BY c.lft, CASE WHEN a.publish_up = 0 THEN a.created ELSE a.publish_up END DESC , a.created DESC LIMIT 0, 9 Unknown column 'a.title_alias' in 'field list' SQL=SELECT a.id, a.title, a.alias, a.title_alias, a.introtext, a.checked_out, a.checked_out_time, a.catid, a.created, a.created_by, a.created_by_alias, CASE WHEN a.modified = 0 THEN a.created ELSE a.modified END as modified, a.modified_by, uam.name as modified_by_name,CASE WHEN a.publish_up = 0 THEN a.created ELSE a.publish_up END as publish_up,a.publish_down, a.images, a.urls, a.attribs, a.metadata, a.metakey, a.metadesc, a.access, a.hits, a.xreference, a.featured, LENGTH(a.fulltext) AS readmore,CASE WHEN badcats.id is not null THEN 0 ELSE a.state END AS state,c.title AS category_title, c.path AS category_route, c.access AS category_access, c.alias AS category_alias,CASE WHEN a.created_by_alias > ' ' THEN a.created_by_alias ELSE ua.name END AS author,ua.email AS author_email,( SELECT MAX(contact.id) AS id FROM ugohi_contact_details AS contact WHERE contact.published = 1 AND contact.user_id = a.created_by AND (contact.language in ('en-GB','*') OR contact.language IS NULL)) as contactid,parent.title as parent_title, parent.id as parent_id, parent.path as parent_route, parent.alias as parent_alias,ROUND(v.rating_sum / v.rating_count, 0) AS rating, v.rating_count as rating_count,c.published, CASE WHEN badcats.id is null THEN c.published ELSE 0 END AS parents_published FROM ugohi_content AS a LEFT JOIN ugohi_categories AS c ON c.id = a.catid LEFT JOIN ugohi_users AS ua ON ua.id = a.created_by LEFT JOIN ugohi_users AS uam ON uam.id = a.modified_by LEFT JOIN ugohi_categories as parent ON parent.id = c.parent_id LEFT JOIN ugohi_content_rating AS v ON a.id = v.content_id LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT cat.id as id FROM ugohi_categories AS cat JOIN ugohi_categories AS parent ON cat.lft BETWEEN parent.lft AND parent.rgt WHERE parent.extension = 'com_content' AND parent.published != 1 GROUP BY cat.id ) AS badcats ON badcats.id = c.id INNER JOIN ugohi_content_frontpage AS fp ON fp.content_id = a.id WHERE a.access IN (1,1,2) AND c.access IN (1,1,2) AND CASE WHEN badcats.id is null THEN a.state ELSE 0 END = 1 AND (a.publish_up = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR a.publish_up <= '2015-10-17 20:52:21') AND (a.publish_down = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR a.publish_down >= '2015-10-17 20:52:21') AND a.language in ('en-GB','*') ORDER BY c.lft, CASE WHEN a.publish_up = 0 THEN a.created ELSE a.publish_up END DESC , a.created DESC

Its all overwhelming. I don't have a clue what to do. Do I reinstall an update if so,how?

Please advise.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”