How to link theTitle of the Article to an External Link

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
superx11
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

How to link theTitle of the Article to an External Link

Post by superx11 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:23 pm

I am wondering, how can I make the title-link, to link to another external webpage, and NOT to my article? Right now, I have to hide the title and create a link that looks like a title, that links to other page on the Internet.

Is it possible to change the link-title so it links to external pages.
Last edited by imanickam on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from the posthttp://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=624&t=781266

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: How to link theTitle of the Article to an External Link

Post by imanickam » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Yes, you could do that. You may have to change some core Joomla! files.

Whether all the titles would be linked to one external site/link or they would be different? Depending on the answer, the solution may vary.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rcarey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:47 pm

This can be done safely. You need to override the view file that displays the title. This could be for a module that lists articles by title, but more likely (I assume) you want this to happen within the display of an article itself.

So for whatever situation, override the corresponding view file. Build in some logic that checks for a value in the article's field LinkA (or LinkB or LinkC, whichever field you want to use). If the field does have some text, then use this field's URL instead of the default "link" value for the anchor tag <a> that is wrapped around the title.

This is a safe approach in that the added code is within an overridden view file - it avoids hacking core files. It also gives you the option to specify and apply the link per article.
Randy Carey -- as of 2023 I'm mostly retired in web development, but still engaged with a few Joomla projects through
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

feliwebwork
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by feliwebwork » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:05 pm

rcarey wrote:This can be done safely. You need to override the view file that displays the title. This could be for a module that lists articles by title, but more likely (I assume) you want this to happen within the display of an article itself.

So for whatever situation, override the corresponding view file. Build in some logic that checks for a value in the article's field LinkA (or LinkB or LinkC, whichever field you want to use). If the field does have some text, then use this field's URL instead of the default "link" value for the anchor tag <a> that is wrapped around the title.

This is a safe approach in that the added code is within an overridden view file - it avoids hacking core files. It also gives you the option to specify and apply the link per article.
Could anyone explain how to do that exactly? I am not able to find an answer in any of the forum posts.

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rcarey » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:25 pm

I can help, but I need to know what you understand and what you don't - so I can answer better.

Do you understand template overrides in Joomla? Are you being confused about getting the link from the article's Link-A field? What specifically are you trying to do? I will try to give a direct answer.
Randy Carey -- as of 2023 I'm mostly retired in web development, but still engaged with a few Joomla projects through
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”