Transfering a layout from one site to an other

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
spok2012
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Transfering a layout from one site to an other

Post by spok2012 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi out there,

let me please get your opinion about a task aiming to transfer the layout of one Joomla 2.5 installation to an other.

I have a Joomla 1.5 installation up and running since years (installation a - production site); a try to migrate with jupgrade to Joomla 2.5 works well (let me call this installation b - development site).

For this reason the most time consuming task after migration will be the configuration of the template and the layout of the site - i. e., which menu in what menu position and so on. This configuration task is done on "installation b", while "installation a" is still running as a production site.

When configuration of "installation b" is ready, the production site "installation a" will have changed regarding its content - more pages will be added.

To keep the downtime for the real migration short I therefore think about doing a further migration from the production site (lets call it installation c) and then transfer the layout from installation b to installation c.

For this I had a look at the database to see, where this layout information may be stored. To my opinion this should be (j25 means Joomla 25 table):

j25_menu
j25_menu_types
j25_modules
j25_modules_menu
j25_template_styles

Does anybody has an opinion about this idea? Ever tried to do this? Would that process work? Did I catch all neccessary tables?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards from Germany

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”