Manage subdomain from within Joomla?

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 2.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Kanjidude
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Manage subdomain from within Joomla?

Post by Kanjidude » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Hello,

Apologies if this seems terribly confused, but I am but a webdesigner and not very knowledgeable when it comes to the server side.

Is it possible to set up a subdomain from within Joomla? I want to upload some html/Flash/image files (an interactive Flash/HTML5 course created in Articulate Storyline) to a Joomla website I have been tasked with running, and I figured the best way to do so would be to create a subdomain (so that I get out of Joomla's grasp and can upload .html files).

The problem is that our web host does not provide any kind of panel like Cpanel (which would have made things easy) and does not provide hardly any kind of support. When I asked them to set up a subdomain (files.example.com) they just said "Sure, you now have a subdomain! Here is the ip-number!". When I asked them how to use and access the subdomain and what directory it was linked to so I could access it with FTP they refused to answer, and just told me "That functionality is available inside Joomla - hire a consultant if you don't know how to do it."

So that's where I am at now: My boss is getting impatient, but I don't know how to proceed, and apparently it's all "available from inside Joomla". Can anyone help me? Is it even correct - can I create a non-Joomla subdomain from inside Joomla? I have administrator access to Joomla and the FTP.

(Or, if there's a way to upload the interactive course (about 20MB of different files) to the main site and skip the subdomain altogether.)

Thanks
/Andreas

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Manage subdomain from within Joomla?

Post by itoctopus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Usually, when hosts create a subdomain such as files.example.com, they create a folder called "files" under the root directory of the "example.com" website. So, if you upload a file called test.html to that "files" directory, then the following files.example.com/test.html will be a valid link.

Also, even if your host didn't even create a subdomain, then, in my opinion, you don't need one. You can always create a folder under the root directory of your site called "files", and the upload files to it. You can then access the file the following way: example.com/test.html
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

Kanjidude
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Manage subdomain from within Joomla?

Post by Kanjidude » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:39 am

itoctopus wrote:Usually, when hosts create a subdomain such as files.example.com, they create a folder called "files" under the root directory of the "example.com" website. So, if you upload a file called test.html to that "files" directory, then the following files.example.com/test.html will be a valid link.

Also, even if your host didn't even create a subdomain, then, in my opinion, you don't need one. You can always create a folder under the root directory of your site called "files", and the upload files to it. You can then access the file the following way: example.com/test.html
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, usually I would have expected the host to have created a folder for the subdomain, but the host the company uses refuses to do it; they consider it "support", and they "don't offer support". Long story short: they're the worst host I've ever encountered.

As for creating folders using FTP it doesn't work - accessing the new folder in a web browser just results in a 404.

Return to “Administration Joomla! 2.5”