The Joomla! Forum ™

Forum rules

Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:50 am 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Hello my fellow Joomla users,

I am in a terrible mood today. Why you ask? Well, I am always in a bad mood when I have to upgrade a client's website to a newer version of Joomla, as it never goes without problems. This time it's no different :( ...

My client has a website running Joomla 2.5.2 that needs to be upgraded to the latest version (3.3.x). Apparently the auto-updater is not working, as it does not provide me any updates, even when I select STS. Updating manually it is then! Going from 2.5.2 to 2.5.3 worked, next stop: 2.5.4! And that's where all hell broke loose. After uploading the 2.5.3-to-2.5.4 update package, I was left with a blank screen. Trying to go back to the main administrator panel also gave me a blank screen, as does the front-end. And by blank I mean 100% empty: no errors, no HTML element, no nothing.

A brief but frustrating investigation of the problem revealed that all the PHP includes terminate because apparently _JEXEC is not defined, although the parent index.php file clearly states define('_JEXEC', 1); as one of the first lines. When I echo _JEXEC, I get a nice "1" printed on my otherwise blank screen.

That's as far as I got, and I figured it got high time to call in the cavalry. Searching this forum led me to similar though not identical symptoms (Admin panel partly broken, but front-end still working), and the solutions offered cannot be applied in my situation. I was hoping that one of you guys might know a solution, or that you could refer me to the correct forum topic.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:55 am 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Trying to figure out why you just didn't update to the current 2.5.x release - 2.5.24? Nobody is going to spend too much time helping you troubleshoot a completely outdated version.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:03 pm 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Use this update file: http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsrelease/19664/160040/Joomla_2.5.x_to_2.5.24-Stable-Patch_Package.zip

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:39 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Per Yngve Berg wrote:

Thank you for your reply. As I do not have access to any part of the website at all, I cannot install this package like one would normally do. Should I just extract this and upload its contents to the root, overwriting all previously existing files?

dhuelsmann wrote:
Trying to figure out why you just didn't update to the current 2.5.x release - 2.5.24? Nobody is going to spend too much time helping you troubleshoot a completely outdated version.

If the Joomla updater would have worked in the first place, getting me straight to J3.x, I wouldn't be in this situation...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:16 pm 
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Yes, you can unzip it and upload.

Allow_url_fopen has to be enabled on the server for the updater to work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:26 pm 
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Yes, you can unzip it and upload.

Allow_url_fopen has to be enabled on the server for the updater to work.

Thank you very much, now I have access to the website again. However, I still cannot use the updater to get to J3.x, even though allow_url_fopen is set to ON.