Database errors corrupt path from menu link

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
LisaB
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Database errors corrupt path from menu link

Post by LisaB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:49 am

Firstly, I've been working with Joomla since 1.0 and am not a noob.

Second, I've never had a problem like this with Joomla!

Site/system params:
Joomla 2.5.8 migrated from 1.5.26 site using
Recommended pHp and SQL versions
Template: Ascent by Joomlabamboo, along with various JB extensions
Major extensions: Akeeba backup, JCE, Acymailing...

I will provide an FPA upon request.

Here's the situation:

Sidebar navigation menu produces errors in path for unknown reason. All the category, menu and item ids reflect what is published to my site. The database, however, is adding (randomly) the following to the path: New Private Message/news-blogs/...
sql-category-error.jpg
I might not be a noob but I know better than to mess around with the database since I am totally ignorant of how it interacts with the CMS. So from the admin panel, I unpublished and deleted the offending menu. Then I moved all articles under "news-blog" to "uncategorised" and deleted the aforementioned category. Then I looked at the DB again.

This is what I saw:
sql-category-error2.jpg
. Looks like the strange path changes replicated into another category in the database. This is really rich as the site is supposed to go live on 11/15/12. :-\

I'm completely flummoxed... anyone have a clue?

Thanks in advance for your response.

~ Lisa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water."~Eleanor Roosevelt

sitesrus
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: Database errors corrupt path from menu link

Post by sitesrus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Ahhhh!

Is this specifically related to your migration?

Did you backup your database and files before migration? If you don't backup, from now on, always take backups before doing something like this so a restore is easy. Or even just in general in case something goes wrong so it's easier to roll back and just fix major issues. Is this problem only isolated to these columns? You may just have to fix it manually by altering the values in these fields.

Can you upgrade from 1.5 to 2.5 seamlessly? Or did you follow a step by step guide or use jupgrade or something like that? I just previously had someone mess up their DB by trying to upgrade to 3.0, restore files only back to 2.5, and we had to fix their DB and put it back to what 2.5 expected.

I may be way off topic, but I'm not sure what would alter these values unless it was an update. For example an insert can be done without specifying column names or an update so somehow that column had this happen.

Changing the values to what they should be shouldn't cause issues, if the problem keeps reproducing itself when you create new items than that's a problem...
I like working with Joomla :). I offer the following professional services: Custom extension development, SEO/marketing, maintenance/support, security and WCAG audits, and will work on websites at a reasonable rate.

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:21 am

[Mod note: Moved from Admin Forum to Migration Forum;]
To help you, in the future, find the correct forum for your topic please read the Which forum to post your question that I have put together.

Please run the Forum Post Assistant to provide the information to help us try and resolve the issue.
Please follow the instructions in the post and the program pack closely.

LisaB
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by LisaB » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Backed up: Yes
Migration method: jupgrade
Installation stable and running correctly.

I did read the forum instructions and determined that the cross-linking/DB error was probably not a migration issue. However, I bow to Humvee's expertise and decision to move this topic.

I truly do not believe that this error is/was related to the migration. More likely there was some lack of understanding on my part about how menus function in J2.5x as compared to J1.5x. I did note that there were duplicate menu names and duplicate menu module names which worked in J1.5x but will not function as before in J2.5.

Regardless of the cause, I used a local installation to test whether or not I could change the field values without damaging the site. Field changes had no effect on site functionality so I modified same fields on the live site. No more path problems from menu links.

I'd still be curious as to what caused the cross-linking... FPA output follows in next post.
"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water."~Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”