What is the easiest/best way to migrate to a new server?

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Oddballo
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

What is the easiest/best way to migrate to a new server?

Post by Oddballo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm just wondering what's the easiest and best method for transferring my Joomla 2.5 site (with all extensions/databases) to a new server.

I know that I can back-up the databases and directory folders, but when it comes to uploading them to a new server, I always have to change the configuration information, etc - which often times causes issues.

Markstein
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: What is the easiest/best way to migrate to a new server?

Post by Markstein » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Use the extension Akeeba Backup:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ackup/1606

Make sure to read the documentation (they have a quickstart guide available).

1.) Install Akeeba Backup on your site.

2.) Create a backup of your site using Akeeba. Note that Akeeba backs up your files as well as your database. Download the backup .jpa file via FTP. You will also need to download kickstart from the Akeeba website as well.

3.) Upload a copy of your .jpa file and the kickstart.php file onto your new server.

4.) Create a database and user for the new site.

5.) Go to www.yoursite.com/kickstart.php

6.) Follow the instructions. It's very similar to Joomla's installer. At one point it will ask if you want to "use new information" or something similar. Since you are installing on a different server with different settings (database, etc.) choose yes. Once complete you have your site up and running on a different server.

Mark

mailyvonne
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: What is the easiest/best way to migrate to a new server?

Post by mailyvonne » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:13 pm

I've tried this, but after I installed my site on a new site I can't reach the backend anymore. I'm following the instructions, but I don't know how to reach my backend....

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”