404 Error after Migration to New Hosting Service

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jasari123
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

404 Error after Migration to New Hosting Service

Post by jasari123 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi,
I have migrated our website built on joomla 2.5 to a new hosting service. Browsing to every page beside home page generates a 404 error.

The domain is not yet forwarded but links are created dynamically so I don't think the 404 error is a related to domain not being forwarded.

The followings are updated in the configuration.php file to reflect the new settings:
$dbtype
$host
$user
$password
$db
$dbprefix
$live_site
* the ftp and email setting are also updated

Is there any settings related to menu links that need to be set somewhere?

Thanks, Jananeh

conlippert
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: 404 Error after Migration to New Hosting Service

Post by conlippert » Tue May 06, 2014 2:57 pm

Is SEF turned on? Turn it off and see if this still happens. The SEF stuff might not work well until the domain name servers are pointing to the new servers.

johnbcnone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnbcnone » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:54 pm

I have same problem as jasari123. I took a back up from the original site on my computer as local host. URL links or links to html files work. Links relating to articles in the Article Manager generate 404 errors, yet these links will work on my computer as local host. I am not very familar with Joomla, any help appreciated. Evidence of the problem can be seen on site http://www.munsterhillwalks.com

Regards johnbcnone

conlippert
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by conlippert » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:40 am

The url I looked at is definitely generated as a SEF URL. I would try using the "rebuild" button in the Menu Manager for your menu items. Note that the one I looked at is /index.php/caurraun and "caurraun" is the alias on the menu item.

johnbcnone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnbcnone » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:23 am

Thank you for your reply. I tried the rebuild button-no success.
At the moment I am thinking as follows. The domain name 'munsterhillwalks.com' is hosted as a sub domain under directory folder 'Munster'. When a 404 error is generated and you want to go back to home by clicking ' Home Page' you are taken to 'www.munsterhillwalks.com/Munster/'. This is incorrect and another 404 error is generated. If you then click 'Home Page' again on this second message you are taken to 'munsterhillwalks.com/index.php' which is correct.
I am wondering if my problem is that munsterhillwalks is a sub domain rather than a main domain. In my opinion I seem to have done things correctly.
Munsterhillwalks was first installed as a sub domain and then Joomla was installed on it.

Regards johnbcnone

conlippert
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by conlippert » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:17 pm

That shouldn't matter but check the configuration.php file and see if the tmp and log paths are defined correctly.
Here's the way mine is defined: public $log_path = '/home5/mysite/public_html/logs';public $tmp_path = '/home5/mysite/public_html/tmp';
Also, I never define a "live site" although this might not matter anymore. Here's my livesite "public $live_site = '';"

conlippert
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by conlippert » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Just as a followup to your question about the subdomain, in theory this should not matter unless you are defining a specific link somewhere. The site should have all it's functions within the directory you put it in. In all of my sites, nowhere do I refer to the domain name specifically. If you have some html pages that you want to link to, I would create a child folder in my joomla root directory. For example: mysite.com/myjoomlasubdomain/myhtmlcode and place all my hardcoded html files in there. Then change all the menu items to go to that directory ( myhtmlcode/sample.html)

johnbcnone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnbcnone » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:52 pm

Thank you for your help. I will have to leave this problem for a while and come back in a couple of days. I will have to study the configuration.php file more closely. The log path and tmp path contain a lot of numbers in the path address. The path addresses end with /Munster/logs and /Munster/tmp which seems correct.
I generated a new item on the walks menu and the link still does not work from the home page. All articles in the Article Manager have been correctly uploaded.

Regards johnbcnone

johnbcnone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by johnbcnone » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:58 pm

My website is now restored as normal, with the exception of some minor issues which can easily be fixed. Whilst still using my original Akeeba back up file I reinstalled the back up using Akeeba kickstart. Links are working okay now.

Regards johnbcnone

conlippert
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by conlippert » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:05 pm

Great News. Akeeba is the best.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”