Accessing Test Site with Browser

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
jgraves
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Accessing Test Site with Browser

Post by jgraves » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:19 am

In preparation to upgrade to Joomla 3.?, I would like to test some changes on my site and not have to worry about my live site being affected. I created a new directory at the root of my server (same place my current installation runs from) and copied all of my files and directories into it. I created a copy of my database and assigned a user name and password. I changed the database name, user and password in the configuration.php file to those of the new database. I put the new config.php file in the directory with the copy of my working site. How can I access this new copy thru a browser? No matter what url I try, I get the dreaded 404 error. I did this a couple of years ago and I thought all I had to do was put the new directory name in the url after my site name, but that is not working.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have to get this to work.

umarzuki
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Accessing Test Site with Browser

Post by umarzuki » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:59 am

from what I understand you copied from let say doc root /var/www/joomla to /var/www/joomla/test ?

then you tried to open on web browser domain.com/test ?

how did you copy it?
could be a permission related issue

jgraves
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jgraves » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:30 pm

Thank you for your reply. I copied my Joomla installation files using the web space explorer feature, which my hosting company (1and1) provides. It is simply a view of my directory structure and I can add directories, delete directories, copy, delete and move files thru it. I created a new, empty database thru phpMyAdmin. Then I copied the existing database into it using phpMyAdmin. If it is a permission problem, it would be with the database. I do not see a method by which I can check the permissions on the database. I can view, edit, copy and delete any of the tables. Any suggestions now that you have more information?

umarzuki
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by umarzuki » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:09 pm

what are the URLs of production site & test site?

you can obfuscate domain or IP address, I just want to have an idea what actually happened.

jgraves
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jgraves » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Thank you for your reply. The problem was that my hosting company created the copy of my database on a different server than my live database. When I edited the configuration.php file, I had not changed the server name in the database name. So all is well now that I did that.

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”