module greyed out, edit state not permitted

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Fat_terry
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

module greyed out, edit state not permitted

Post by Fat_terry » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:13 am

In Joomla 2.5.6 Admin I'm in extensions->manage, looking at the Latest Users module. It has a padlock in the status field, and the line is greyed out.

Unsurprisingly when I try to enable it I get "edit State not Allowed".

What does surprise me is when I click on Options and examine "Permissions", I see Super Admin (to which I am most certainly logged on) has Configure, Access, Delete, Edit all inherited and allowed (although having a padlock next to them). Changing the access to specifically allowed has no effect, as I guessed.

My research points towards items requiring checking in, which was true, so I did that and cleared cache to no effect. I also looked at permissions for which all files have write access for www-data (local test webserver).

In the extension manager list, I see (while logged on as super admin) several modules un-greyed out to which I have access, and several greyed out with no access. For example, Feed Display (administrator) has a green tick enabled status. Feed Display (site) is greyed out with a padlock. Permissions on the respective folders appear identical.

Can anyone suggest what am I missing here please? Im thinking it's something fundamental about permissions I havent learned from my searching.

Colin

Fat_terry
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: module greyed out, edit state not permitted

Post by Fat_terry » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:47 am

After some hours I have found the answer to my own question! This doesnt mean I didnt Google, or went straight to this forum, I just searched for the wrong thing.

I was going to delete this post, but (aside from I cant remove it completely), but in recognition of the fact I found similar questions out there, apparently without a good answer, I thought Id answer it instead in case it is ever useful. Besides, I can only answer my own questions, everyone else seems to know more than me!

So, the extension in question is a protected extension, part of the core of Joomla and deliberately protected from tampering! To use this module, and have it appear in the modules list rather than under extensions->manage, you simply create a new one from within the Modules menus. Then you will be able to use it as you might expect. I think the key here is, on not finding the module in the module manager, you need to navigate to extension manager (or withint the New Module menu) to see what extensions (modules) are available, and in this instance protected ones.

I hope Im right about this, I invite additions/corrections for not only my benefit, but that of anyone like me who was initially puzzled by this behaviour!

bludandruff
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by bludandruff » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:56 am

Oh my god, Thank you so much. I have spent hours and hours and hours trying to figure this out myself.

lcarlton
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by lcarlton » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:25 pm

THANK YOU! -- I have been struggling with this. I really appreciate you returning to post what you found. I'll remember to Pay it Forward

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”