ACL to replace backend

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

gliderguld
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

ACL to replace backend

Post by gliderguld » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:02 pm

Does more than history command the frontend/site - backend/admin separation? Before ACLs were introduced it was a fine substitut, but is it really needed now?

I'm asking out of curiosity, but also becauce I think I se a lot of redundant code or workaround hereof in theese two applications.

Yours,
/Poul

ranwilli
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: ACL to replace backend

Post by ranwilli » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:40 pm

As we're expressing only opinion, I would say you're correct, it isn't strictly necessary, but it is extraordinarily convenient for developers, and I don't see a shred of "work-around" in well-crafted extensions.

Redundancy, perhaps... of little consequence in my opinion.
Don't HACK the Joomla! core, Instead "Extend" and/or "Override."
Stay ON the update path.
https://harpervance.com

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rcarey » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:43 am

To some extent I agree with your perception. But pragmatically, I think we need the separation. While the ACL alleviates the need to separate the front from back, it does so only if the ACL is set up correctly. Too many site developers (and especially single-site owners) don't fully understand the ACL, so the separation protects a good many sites.
Randy Carey -- as of 2023 I'm mostly retired in web development, but still engaged with a few Joomla projects through
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

gliderguld
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gliderguld » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks for the replies.

If a default ACL-setup can't replace frontend/backend, it isn't designed as well as I thought.

I am considering making all of my extension in one of the environments, but am facing challenges:
* Menu-items are linked to views/xxx/tmpl/yyy.xml, which can be frontend only.
* Management of categories is backend only.
I am affraid there are more like theese. But maybe I missed something - I'm still learning?

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”