Assigning two mutually exclusive permissions to one user

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

erichf
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Assigning two mutually exclusive permissions to one user

Post by erichf » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:33 pm

I have two publisher groups. Each can edit only their own articles which are grouped by categories. There are also a few articles which can be edited by either group which are in a different category.

I have set up all the appropriate permissions and everything seems to work fine. Group A can edit Category A articles and common articles and Group B can edit Category B articles and common articles. Group A and Group G are children of Public which does not have permission to edit any articles.

However, one user is entitled to edit articles from Category A and Category B, so I've added them to both groups. However, when they are added to both groups, they can only edit the common articles and they are excluded from editing Category A or Category B articles.

Looking at the permissions for each user group for the categories Group A has access to Category B articles set to Deny and Group B has access to edit Category A articles set to Deny. So the Deny overrides the Allow which is set in each group. I guess this makes sense.

If I edit Category A and change its category permissions for Group B to be inherit, the calculated permission setting is still Allowed even though the permission of public is Inherited and calculated to be Not Allowed. This logic seems broken to me.

So, the question is how can I have two publisher groups that are mutually exclusive except when a user is assigned to both groups?

Thanks

pinkshirt
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Assigning two mutually exclusive permissions to one user

Post by pinkshirt » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:31 pm

I think you should be able to do what you want. Instead of setting up Group A and B with publishing access to All and then denying what they can't edit, set them up with no publishing access to anything and then allow only what the group is allowed to publish. This will mean someone in both groups can be allowed to publish in both categories. I hope that makes sense.

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”