Menu Components - Display authorities

Moderators: mandville, General Support Moderators

Greg11
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Menu Components - Display authorities

Post by Greg11 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:30 am

Hello community,

I am facing a strange (for me) problem and I need your help. Well, I wanted to hide some menu items from component menu for certain users and I did it for some of components only. The way that I followed was like this: I went to every component options and I disabled the displaying for certain users BUT the problem is that some components (like chronoforms V4) don't have "options" which i found to other components.

I tried also to hide it from global settings-> authorities (as i have 3 types of users-administrators) but unfortunately without any luck.

Any idea?

p.s Sorry for my poor english.

Greg11
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Menu Components - Display authorities

Post by Greg11 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:21 am

Any piece of advice?

rcarey
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Menu Components - Display authorities

Post by rcarey » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:41 am

I'm not sure if I understand your issue, so let me restate it as I understand it: You want some administrator types to be able to access only the components that you want them to have access to. The problem is that some components do not allow you to set permissions upon their component. Is this a correct statement of your problem?

If it is... Some components ignore the responsibility to provide permissions. This is unfortunate, and I choose to look for an alternative component which has developers who are dedicated to keeping up with Joomla standards. But I realize that sometimes it is hard to find an alternative that suits your needs.

The tool ACL Manager provides the ability to add two types of permissions to any component - even if the component does not offer permissions. These two are [1] the ability to configure the component and [2] the ability to access the component's admin interface. My assumption is that you need this second permission. If so, then ACL Manager will enable you. It does cost a small subscription, but it is worth it to resolve the problems you are facing (as well as to review and confirm that you have all the settings made as you want them).
Randy Carey -- as of 2023 I'm mostly retired in web development, but still engaged with a few Joomla projects through
Careytech Studios http://careytech.com custom development for tailored or value-added web solutions

Return to “Access Control List (ACL) in Joomla! 2.5”