Joomla logo revamp

operafox
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joomla logo revamp

Post by operafox » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:30 am

I'm just curious if there are any plans in the works to revamp the Joomla logo?

IMHO the logo needs some proper lettering, it looks just terrible right now - like something that was made in word, copied as a pixel raster and stretched out horizontally. I don't know who made it in the first place, but I am going to go out on a limb here and say it is quite clear that it's not made by professionals.

I find it problematic when trying to implement it in for example a web page design, it looks amateurish and I don't think it reflects Joomlas capabilities. One usually have to resort to going with, at best, the mark shape only. And this not just me, you can see this all the time on professional designs. I think the majority of people with just basic typographic/graphic design skills would agree with me.

I think this IS an issue that should be adressed. For example when people are researching cms systems. They often see the drupal logo, wp logo and then the joomla logo lined up. The first two looks decent and the 3rd look outdated and home made, this greatly detracts from peoples first impression. I also think to some extent may make it harder to pitch the CMS to prospecting clients (which are often marketing people familiar with the value of branding), as the logo doesnt convey the solid product that joomla is.

This might seem like a trivial problem to some and I guess everyone won't agree. I am not suggestion a whole new branding package, but to evolve the current logo with at least proper typographic features.

I am not saying this for the sake of complaining or "showcase my knowledge of the subject", just trying to help improve joomla. Views are welcome!

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla logo revamp

Post by brian » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:34 am

If you read this http://www.joomla.org/images/logos/Joom ... 2-2005.pdf then I think you will see that it was created by professionals despite your assertion
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

operafox
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by operafox » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:48 am

Thank you Brian for that clarification, I should have made research on it before making that statement. As I saw the manual I also remember seeing it before, ages ago.

However I still maintain my views on the logo as stated above, made by professionals or not.

I am curious about the views of others on this subject, please share.

And like I said, I am not trying to call out the makers of the logo - I just think it is time for an update.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 am

I am sure that there are plenty of brands that have an (IMO) amateur or childish logo have a fantastic product
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:06 pm

I don't see anything wrong with it. Could you upload a screenshot of an issue with it?

Also, could you make a better logo?

Kind regards,
Nick
Joomla Templates created by the Wright Framework.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him" - http://www.desiringgod.org/

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:57 pm

The Joomla logo symbol is brilliant. It's like the Mercedes Star, it should not be changed.

operafox
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by operafox » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Hello!

Nick:
"Me" revising the logo was not my suggestion, putting together a spec logo out of thin air would be just be silly. In case of a logo revamp this would have to be initiated by the ones responsible for it, they would have to do the prep work and choose the service that could provide guidance and produce a successful result according to requirements. Not the other way around. My post was my concerns regarding the logo, not my abilities or any other agenda.

As for screen shots, I don't see the point of creating and uploading those if you can't identify the problems in the first place. I mean no disrespect, people percieve visuals very differently. Believe me I know this all too well. I find your view interesting nevertheless, thanks for your post.

mandville:
My toughts are that the current logo version worked ok in the early days, but as the cms have matured - and for many turned into serious business - I think the need for a professional mark is there. This doesnt mean that it shouldnt have a playful or maybe even childish theme to it, it absolutely should.

PYB:
Like I said the mark isn't a huge problem, it could work well with better lettering. Let me emphasize I never said joomla needed a brand new logo, but in my opinion the type setting in particular needs to evolve to be presentable.

All right. I am not going to go on a whole crusade about this. As someone who works in the design business I just wanted to share my toughts about a more versatile branding element. I made the initial post because I am confident this is something joomla would benefit from, not to attack people disagreeing, promote me or my company, or make any "demands". My 5 cents as they say.

Thanks!

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Perhaps something you could do is to provide a few illustrations of how it could be improved?
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

David_Thomas
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by David_Thomas » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:01 am

I think logo of Joomla CMS is good & unique rather than other cms platforms. ;)

levanan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by levanan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:17 pm

thanks for share. I think wordpress is better

sugarandspice35
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sugarandspice35 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Lol, it definitely needs to be changed. The logo is really ugly, and that's not just an opinion, haha. Sorry to break it to you guys. Designed by professionals perhaps, but it does not appropriately convey what a CMS of Joomla's standard should. Also, the exclamation mark in the CMS name is really stupid :p

Time for a major brand overhaul in my op!

Return to “Joomla! Marketing and PR Team”