Extension of security maintenance

dotcom22
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Extension of security maintenance

Post by dotcom22 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:11 pm

hello

I opened this topic for complaint about duration of Joomla security maintenance. In fact I working on a big project since more than one years now and I will launch my service in the next few months. Due to the fact support for J 2.5 will end in December, I will need soon to think about upgrade/migration (or loose time by waiting Joomla 3.5 and perform the upgrade at this moment) even if I'm totally satisfied with my site and this only because you will stop to provide security patch. This is a non sense because when a Joomla version start to be well mature, you stop his maintenance and "force" users to upgrade to a new and immature version by telling us "Take care to always use a well up to date version for avoid security problem". I know technology go very fast but is not easy to follow the rhythm...

Personally I don't care to use the latest version with useless feature for me but I care to have long stability and reliability. I use only few component which come from big and well know Joomla developers (such CB, Akeeba and RSjoomla). These developers are well active and always prompt to provide security patch if needed and new version of their stuff. So is very frustrating to be obligate to think about migration/upgrade every 18 months (especially when you make customization) because Joomla stop maintenance. This does not help for get a long term vision and peaceful of mind...I have so much more thing to think and to do. If I compare with the 5 years maintenance of Ubuntu or even the 10 years of Window XP, the poor 18 month of Joomla is very short. Ideally a clear maintenance of at least 3 years should be a minimum at my opinion...

any comment ??

Beat
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Extension of security maintenance

Post by Beat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks for your interesting thoughts.

I have pointed to your post here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/joomla- ... tPdGZ35OYJ

as there is a discussion going on at PLT on the LTS strategy for 2.5/3.5.

You may want to subscribe to that group discussion and contribute there as well.

So let's see what comes out of that discussion at PLT. Your question comes with a good timing. :-)
Beat 8)
www.joomlapolis.com <= Community Builder + CBSubs Joomla membership payment system - team
hosting.joomlapolis.com <= Joomla! Hosting, by the CB Team

Return to “Joomla! Marketing and PR Team”