Joomla forum needs new software

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
Perses
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Joomla forum needs new software

Post by Perses » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:38 pm

IMO the Joomla forum is antiquated. Modern forum software has option to give reputation points to thank those who answer their questions. This can be done with or without including a comment. As an example myBB has this feature. I think more people would answer questions if they were given this simple incentive.

It’s also easy to mark questions [SOLVED] by selecting this prefix in the OP from a drop down list of prefixes.

There are many other features available in modern forum software that can make the user experience better.

itoctopus
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Joomla forum needs new software

Post by itoctopus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:01 am

You're right. But I think the problem is that it's hard to find a forum application that will scale well and is free and open sou rce (the same as Joomla). Additionally, I think that the Joomla team has invested a lot of time in order to optimize the current application (phpBB). I remember clearly that a year ago (or maybe a bit more) the Joomla forum was erratically slow and it used to crash a lot. Now it's much much better after they upgraded the server and most likely optimized the phpBB code and/or the underlying database.
http://www.itoctopus.com - Joomla consulting at its finest
https://twitter.com/itoctopus - Follow us on Twitter

Perses
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Perses » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:22 pm

I did a brief look and phpBB does not include reputation points or prefix options neither are there extensions to add these features. Forum software that does include these things built-in is myBB.

IIRC myBB can automatically migrate (import users and posts) a phpBB forum and can support very large forums. This would be my recommendation.

myBB is free and open source.

RedEye
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by RedEye » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:27 pm

What this forum really needs is to use a responsive theme, because the current just sucks from a mobile device...
Perses wrote:I did a brief look and phpBB does not include reputation points or prefix options neither are there extensions to add these features.
Well, there are mods/extensions for reputation points (one of the first was released in 2006), the most recent would be the reputation system from Pico, however all of them seem to be abandoned :( would really be nice to see this in the phpBB core.

Also big forums like this are not only looking for features, the most important thing is security and phpBB did a very good job here over the last years and is at least on my list in first place here.

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”