Joomla forum- A 'me too' button for unanswered posts

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joomla forum- A 'me too' button for unanswered posts

Post by andypooz » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:06 pm

I wish there was some way for me to indicate that I too would love to know the answer to a question that someone poses in the forum without chiming in with something unhelpful like
'Yeah, I would love to know that too. Good luck!'
and ruining their 'unanswered post' status. I do not do that by the way, I just leave it for someone else, but I do wish there was a way for people to indicate that they've read the question and don't know the answer, but endorse it as a valid question and not some vague/already answered/spammy post.
I find it frustrating when I post a question and have 138 people read it and no one posts an answer, but I'd feel better if half a dozen of those people clicked an 'I'd like to know the answer to that one too' button.

I'm afraid I don't have suggestions for implementing this, as I know that the joomla forum uses phpbb which I'm not really familiar with, and don't know how customisable it is. So this one is a bit of a pipe dream really.
Last edited by toivo on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod note: moved from Joomla Ideas forum
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

imanickam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Joomla forum- A 'me too' button for unanswered posts

Post by imanickam » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:27 pm

If someone is really interested in a topic then they can subscribe to the topic or bookmark it.

Next to the button titled "Post Reply" there is another button with an image of a spanner. This button (with the hover help text "Topic Tools") has a dropdown with features like "Subscribe Topic" and "Bookmark Topic". These features can be used effectively for what you are suggesting.
Ilagnayeru (MIG) Manickam | இளஞாயிறு மாணிக்கம்
Joomla! - Global Moderators Team | Joomla! Core - Tamil (தமிழ்) Translation Team Coordinator
Former Joomla! Translations Coordination Team Lead
Eegan - Support the poor and underprivileged

andypooz
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Joomla forum- A 'me too' button for unanswered posts

Post by andypooz » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 pm

I didn't know that. It's useful to know, for coming back to to see if its been answered. I think it'd be nice for the community to see how many people have subscribed to the post too, as a mark of endorsement of the question in hope of getting an answer. Loads and loads of questions go unanswered on this forum. Some of them are questions which have been answered before and need only have the person do a search and try a few things rather than repeating the same question, some a vague and don't seem to make any sense, and some of course are just spam. But if i came to a post which was unanswered but I could see 12 people had subscribed to, then this could be a good way of sorting out the good questions worth trying to answer from the time-wasters.
I don't expect any such functionality, I'm just wishing out loud.
Andy Hickey
Bespoke Joomla Extension Developer
http://www.netamity.com

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”