Please implement JOOMLA JOURNALS section

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
squig
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Please implement JOOMLA JOURNALS section

Post by squig » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:08 am

:)  I just had this cool idea.  :)

Joomla User Journals Section

Most people don't even take notes on what they do in details at all, but
an individual's daily life if recorded in a daily/weekly journal type of entry would greatly help EVERYONE, developers and non programmer type users!

I am asking that we have a JOURNAL section in the forum.joomla.org site where each member can
log their daily life in relation to anything joomla no matter how insignificant they think it may be.

Share their daily joomla tweaks, results, pains, joys in detail to help the educational process for everyone, most
of us really need the ideas and experience of the advanced and beginners in order to advance ourselves.

Kind of your life's biography whenever it relates to Joomla.

PLAN
Journal entries should only open to be written by one writer, comments can be made in another forum perhaps,
but let the JOURNAL sections be only written by each journal writer, so it flows following only
that unique person's trials and tribulations and joys, etc..

We will record the history of joomla through our own individual life experiences with it from the start and everything intermingled with it in each of our journals. Think about it, over time when looking back what wonderful things this could
create and bring back to us rather then searching through bits and pieces thrown about 100's of separate
posts or separate blog websites.

The journal idea will be much better an idea for overall biographies of everyone,
for everyone. Maybe someone will even write a book about them, or it may lead to
more public and media coverage, as it is easier for media to follow one person's story and
journal, and make a flowing piece into it.

It will also inspire more people to return on a daily basis to the forums themselves, just
to read a bit about someone else's daily journey. This over time will make more people
involved in helping in their own small way. The emotional, the Human element so often
lacking with website forums about technical things.

Also it could help developers in another way to understand how various types of joomla users
experience life, how they think
and if it was the way they expected them to or not. Think of it like open source R&D!

JOOMLA JOURNALS

Biographies, Stories, Unique Purposes, Random Tweaks, Odd Results, Daily Pains, Process Steps, Final Joys, etc.

Thanks,
Peace.
Squig
Last edited by squig on Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squig
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Please implement JOOMLA JOURNALS section

Post by squig » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:03 am

Last edited by squig on Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:03 pm

Your suggestion was noted the first time. Sorry that I did not reply.
Thanks for your suggestion.

I can't guarantee it will be implemented, but we'll see how the team feels.

There are already core members who write a 'blog', perhaps this is what you are after in the interim.

CubicleTube
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CubicleTube » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:57 pm

It would be a good idea if Joomla Components weren't strung out all over the net. I have the hardest time finding new usable components. Ive been working withi Jommla now for about 2 months. I love this script but for the love of good please get up on the components. I feel the core team either needs to start making them or find someone to do so. The only way the community works is if its organized. The worst part is when you go to a "Joomla" site most of them are Mambo Sites revamped with maybe half a dozen Joomla Components that are actuall mambo Components. There was a split for a reason right? Well anywho im very experienced with a lot of CMS scripts and i say outside of all the little anoying things that may or may not be anavoidable at this time. Joomla takes the cake
im in love.

Late

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:59 pm

CubicleTube
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CubicleTube » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:05 pm

Yes I have it's OK but really confusing when your tired. It's one of the annoying cause all the scrolling I'm sure Joomla could just use the remository?

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:24 pm

There is going to be another official source in Joomla, but that probably isn't finished yet.

CubicleTube
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CubicleTube » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:32 pm

Cool I know Joomla will get better with age. strong Dev team = Strong product I guess well just have to wait for it to be easy on everyone lol

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:08 pm

Have you considered helping the Joomla project out by getting involved with one of the teams? Documentation, Testing?

squig
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by squig » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:16 pm

All I am asking for is another link to be added in the forum sections, where everyone can have their own forum topic which will become their own personal JOOMLA JOURNAL as it were.

Each member of the forum can make their own topic which will become their personal post of all the entries for their Joomla Journal whenever they want to add something whether they think it is significant or not. So whenever they want to add to their journal, they just click the REPLY button in their topic (their "journal").

I think it is best if only the topic starter (journal starter) can write in the posting. If someone wants to ask the person a question about their journal post, they can private message, or post a question in a separate forum area so all the journals are organized as ONE per user as a journal should be. Please read my first post in this topic for more specifics.

Thank you.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:36 pm

Sorry Squig, I was posting in response to CubicleTube.

About the Joomla Journals, although a great idea, it's something that would take up more time of the moderators, as well as the admins. You will note that the documentation team members often use 'mini blogs' already.

However if you wish to share any information with the community we have quite a few sections to comment in: Non-profits, Custom Development (your core code hacks), Open Source components (your components), and many many more. There is also the 'General Discussion' forum for anything and everything that is within the rules.

We have a lot on our plate, and are doing our best to allocate resources to the projects that have a high priority. Thanks for your understanding, help and support of the entire dev team, as well as the community at large. :)

CubicleTube
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CubicleTube » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:48 pm

I would love to be involved of one of the teams. Just not sure wich one or how to join a team.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:07 pm

squig
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by squig » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:18 pm

A JOURNAL section does not at all need to take any time of moderators/administrators, all you need to do is put a swear filter on or whatever you want like that, because ONLY the originator of each individual topic ("journal") in the journal section will be responsible for his own postings (journal entries), as nobody else will be able to make replies into another persons "journal". Its not like other forums where you may have to read posts and remove or move posts, etc. which takes time.

I don't think people understand what I want anyways, oh well, I thought this was simple. 

The average person wants to read about the PEOPLE BEHIND the JOOMLA, THE HUMANITY BEHIND IT, the stories behind it, not just the TECH STUFF. THIS INCLUDES MEDIA people who have no clue about joomla or whatever it is supposed to do, but if they read something like a user journal it would make them more interested in doing a story on it.

This is a VERY SIMPLE thing to do (make one extra link in the forum) to make regular people get more interested in the whole website/internet stuff, as they will be able to read about the HUMAN elements more in a journal, rather then reading technical posts all the time in all the other forums.

There needs to be an emotional side as well as a technical side, this is what the joomla journals can be, something that is easier to relate to and come back for more every day to experience a little bit of other people's lives who use Joomla and be able to relate and be more inspired to keep going with joomla and have an emotional boost to do so. It can also create more of a deeper connection between all users, which would make more  people emotionally excited about making yearly conventions for joomla, etc.

Also my idea is to be journals more for the regular people using joomla, their stories, lives, backgrounds, experiences, etc, not the core members unless they wanted to make a journal in their own time.

Best wishes.

CubicleTube
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CubicleTube » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:13 am

I tried to click on the link to do volunteer work but it was a dead one. The best help i would be would to possibly write how to's.

I have advanced experience in PHP , HTML , Graphics pretty much a bunch of stuff. Sorry to be so unspecific basically if it holds my interest i learn it. I'm getting ready to work on a re write of the Zylom Games Component. Cause after looking at the code and visiting there site I foundout that the original author has prolly been hauling revenue off the affiliate ID.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:23 am

That links works fine for me....

However please contact Michelle as she is one of the Doc team leaders.

Thanks.

CubicleTube
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by CubicleTube » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:51 am

http://forum.opensourcematters.org/inde ... 435.0.html

the link in the post you linked to not your link and thanks.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:26 am

CubicleTube wrote: http://forum.opensourcematters.org/inde ... 435.0.html

the link in the post you linked to not your link and thanks.
Oh, sorry.. I'll fix that up now... http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,435.0.html is the correct one.

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”