Discuss about JTS-post Assistant

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
JenCinclair
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Discuss about JTS-post Assistant

Post by JenCinclair » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:09 pm

Hello!

As a very new user who is trying to learn as much as I can about Joomla! and my particular website, I am trying to set up the JTS post assistant. In reading this thread it seems that it should be very simple but I am still stumped on number two as Retileman94 was. And, the solution given to him still has me puzzled.

1. Download and unzip the attached file (result = jtspost.php )
- Number one is simple enough.

2. Upload the PHP script to the Joomla! Sites "/" directory-
- Russ W. clarified this as:
This is a standalone application, a single file that you run on its own, it doesn't install in to Joomla! in anyway.

So you FTP the file up to your server, placing it in the "/" (root) directory of where you have Joomla! installed. Then you go to your web-browser and open the file in your browser http://www.yourdomain.com.au/<your joomla directory>/jtspost_en.php

You should then see the tools webpage , ready to use, read the intrcutions about 3/4 of the ay down the right hand column of the page.
- I believe that 'FTP the file' means moving it from one place to another. Correct? I logged into my host's backend and see a variety of files under the headings of Home, FTP, Web, and Mailbox. I don't see a /root directory or /directory folder in any of these. Where is this typically housed? Or, could it be named something different in different host environments? If this is a host difference, what language would I need to use to ask my host the correct questions to find out where this files needs to be uploaded to? Or, am I completely off track...

3. Run the script through the browser IE: http://www.mysite.com.au/jtspost_en.php
- This step seems clear once I get the file in the correct place.

I was hesitant to post this question because I know it will be obvious to most people here. But, I did read as much as I could and am still stumped. Since this is a feature that seems super-helpful for new users some very clear and instructions with hand-holding may help others, too.

Thank you!

~ jen

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:34 pm

Hi
let me try and help,
JenCinclair wrote:Hello!

2. Upload the PHP script to the Joomla! Sites "/" directory-
- Russ W. clarified this as:
- I believe that 'FTP the file' means moving it from one place to another. Correct? I logged into my host's backend and see a variety of files under the headings of Home, FTP, Web, and Mailbox. I don't see a /root directory or /directory folder in any of these. Where is this typically housed? Or, could it be named something different in different host environments? If this is a host difference, what language would I need to use to ask my host the correct questions to find out where this files needs to be uploaded to? Or, am I completely off track...
it is more liely to be you HOME directory. if you look inside it you shuld see the directory where Joomla! is installed. the name of the root directory can change depending on the server/ the control panel software and such. basically find the folder that has joomla in it, and put it there.
3. Run the script through the browser IE: http://www.mysite.com.au/jtspost_en.php
- This step seems clear once I get the file in the correct place.
Yep.
Since this is a feature that seems super-helpful for new users some very clear and instructions with hand-holding may help others, too.
Thank you!
~ jen
I just wish some experienced users used it also!
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

sherif
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sherif » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:03 pm

@JenCinclair
I logged into my host's backend and see a variety of files under the headings of Home, FTP, Web, and Mailbox. I don't see a /root directory or /directory folder in any of these. Where is this typically housed?
allow me to add that if you already logged into your host backend or what commonly referred to as c panel then you can go ahead and find the file manager in there .
Using file manager would do the job and no need to use the ftp feature then , if that more easier or convenient for you .
if you have a joomla setup on your server already then navigate into joomla folder , upload the tool file and you are ready to go .
if you have no joomla installed yet then navigate to the Home or root directory of your server which will be mostly named as :
/httpdocs/
or
/public_html/
according to your host setup , and proceed from there.
hope this helped somehow

JenCinclair
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by JenCinclair » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Thank you Mandville & Sherif!

You both helped to clarify what exactly I'm should be looking for!

Thanks!

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:51 pm

Glad we could help, let us know what happens next.
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted

RH111
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RH111 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:36 am

Warning Will Robinson!

I installed my Joomla into a directory called test. Therefore when you read root directory here it does not mean what your host calls root. If you read all this enough times you will find that they mean Joomla root which your hosts tech support wont know so they will tell you to start looking for missing databases and stuff. After much editing of code and rereading you will realise that root is not root for everybody and in my case it was test.

But I got it working. ;D

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.6 Production/Stable [ Vusani ] 12-August-2008 22:00 GMT
configuration.php: Not Writable (Mode: 444 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.24.7 ( i686) | Web Server: Apache ( ) | PHP Version: 4.4.7
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.45-log ( via TCP/IP )

Extended Information:
SEF: Disabled (without ReWrite) | FTP Layer: Disabled | htaccess: Not Implemented
PHP/suExec: User and Web Server accounts are the same. (PHP/suExec probably installed)
PHP Environment: API: cgi | MySQLi: No | Max. Memory: 12M | Max. Upload Size: 10M | Max. Post Size: 11M | Max. Input Time: 60 | Zend Version: 1.3.0
Disabled Functions:
MySQL Client: 4.1.11 ( latin1 )
Last edited by RH111 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:30 am

RH111 while your post is off topic, I can't help but notice the atrociously poor security setup you have. php4? Out of date Joomla install?

I strongly suggest you remove your website url from your post and focus on your sites security. Please create a new thread in the correct place if you need further help, this is not the thread for that.

2000ARMY
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by 2000ARMY » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:32 am

can someone take a look at my security setup and tell me what you think ...

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.9 Production/Stable [ Vatani ] 9-January-2009 23:00 GMT
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 ( x86_64) | Web Server: Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_bwlimited/1.4 ( xxxxxxfire.org ) | PHP Version: 5.2.8
PHP Requirements: register_globals: Disabled | magic_quotes_gpc: Enabled | safe_mode: Disabled | MySQL Support: Yes | XML Support: Yes | zlib Support: Yes
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Writable | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 5.0.67-community ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

RH111
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by RH111 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:30 pm

Finally figured out how my post was off topic brad. You thought I had problems with my Joomla install. I did not except for some minor details but was having difficulty getting the post assistant to work. Hence this thread and the problems I had getting the post assistant to work. Thanks for the other help but that is definitely off topic. :)

kshahzad
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kshahzad » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:18 pm

i have installed this script

Problem Description:
SEF
not working with sef link
for e.g http://tv.pakvisions.com/geo-news

Log/Error Message:
[quote]404[/quote]

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.9 Production/Stable [ Vatani ] 9-January-2009 23:00 GMT
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 ( x86_64) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.10 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.10 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 ( tv.pakvisions.com ) | PHP Version: 5.2.6
mbstring Support (1.5): Yes | iconv Support (1.5): Yes | save.session_path: Not Writable[color] | Max.Execution Time: 30 seconds | File Uploads: Enabled
MySQL Version: 4.1.22-standard ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

RussW
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by RussW » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:09 pm

Did you rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess? Does your host support rewrite?
Joomla! on the fabulous Sunshine Coast...
hotmango, web & print http://www.hotmango.me/
The Styleguyz https://www.thestyleguyz.com/

kshahzad
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by kshahzad » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:59 pm

wow its worksssssssss
thanks
thanks thanks :)

ilox
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by ilox » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Russ, something that seems to have missed your previous and last updates. Towards the end of the output you have not escaped the 'color' value when showing if the save.session_path is writable or not...

Code: Select all

save.session_path: [color=red]Not Writable[color] |
It just needs the slash to become

save.session_path: [color=red]Not Writable[/color] |
Also for some reason, probably this server setup, your tool can get the MySQL version... but in simple mode wont use what it has learned about the MySQL version ...
MySQL Environment Discovery
Client Version 5.0.77
Character Set
Warning: mysql_client_encoding() [function.mysql-client-encoding]: Access denied for user 'nobody'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/mysite/public_html/jtspost_en.php on line 750

Warning: mysql_client_encoding() [function.mysql-client-encoding]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/mysite/public_html/jtspost_en.php on line 750
Cheers, Ian
"Always remember. Love is the purest feeling, the wisest thought and the strongest reason. Always!"
by Sea-Life

junbernardo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by junbernardo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:23 am

RussW, its a nice script...very descriptive of the server settings...am sure it will be a big help to those just starting their personal Joomla website projects.

Used it earlier. Hope it will help me get good advise soon from forum members.

Thanks, thanks for sharing.

nitendra365
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nitendra365 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 am

joomla is excellent if start working on it you will forget the wordpress Its amazing.
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:28 am

is there anyway to get folder /file permissions listed even just for the root level and possibly as Jeff requests
We need an extended forum post tool - one that lists components too...
***** Manual signatures are NOT allowed *****_____
http://jeffchannell.com - Web Design & Development in Fairmont, WV
like the old credits component did

thanks

jeffchannell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jeffchannell » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:43 am

Any chance we could get a special BBCode for this tool? It would be really handy to type '[fpa]' and have a link to the post assistant come out. :)
http://jeffchannell.com - Joomla Extensions & Support
http://biziant.com - Open Joomla Firewall/IDS
Unsolicited private messages/emails = hire me to fix your problem.
καλλιστι

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:06 pm

jeffchannell wrote:Any chance we could get a special BBCode for this tool? It would be really handy to type '[fpa]' and have a link to the post assistant come out. :)
your flippers getting worn out c&p ? :laugh:

jeffchannell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jeffchannell » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Possibly...
http://jeffchannell.com - Joomla Extensions & Support
http://biziant.com - Open Joomla Firewall/IDS
Unsolicited private messages/emails = hire me to fix your problem.
καλλιστι

N6REJ
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by N6REJ » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:51 am

mandville wrote:can i make a suggestion that a note is added that people copy and paste the contents of the post assistant should remove their url for security reasons
I didn't see that anyone took the ball and did this.. So I spent some time learning and did it myself. I hope this gets incorporated back into the normal DL location, but if not.. Here is the code as I have it. Tested, and works. File is included, and Change log as best I could, is as follows

* @modifed by N6REJ, added URL security check 06Nov09.
*/

/**
* ChangeLog
* added choice to include hostname in generated output or not ( line 349-351 )
* added hostname css class ( Line 217-228)
* Modified output logic to reflect inclusion/exclusion of Host addition ( Line 882-884 )
* added check for if hostname is to be included (line 32)
* added line offset compensation ( Line 559 )
* Minor Spelling error ( Line 862 )
*	Language definitions
*	Line 178 = define( '_INS_6', 'Choose wether to include Hostname in report' );
*   Line 198 = define( '_HOSTNAME', 'Include Hostname');
*	Line 199 = define( '_HOSTNAME_SECURITY', 'Not Recommended');
*/
Sample output would be...

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.14 Stable [ Wojmamni Ama Naiki ] 30-July-2009 23:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 644 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.9-023stab046.2-enterprise ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.7a DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635|
PHP Version: 5.2.6
MySQL Version: 5.0.81-community ( Localhost via UNIX socket )

or if URL included.

Diagnostic Information
Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.14 Stable [ Wojmamni Ama Naiki ] 30-July-2009 23:00 GMT
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 644 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Linux 2.6.9-023stab046.2-enterprise ( i686) | Web Server: Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.7a DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635|( mydomainhere.org )
PHP Version: 5.2.6
MySQL Version: 5.0.81-community ( Localhost via UNIX socket )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:30 pm

thanks for that.
No doubt we (those that care) will be linking to this modified version and testing it out in the field.

sherif
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

JTS-post Assistant Not working with 1.5.15

Post by sherif » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:17 pm

JTS-post Assistant is Not working with 1.5.15
returning a blank page

I first saw this post
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=1922057

then i checked it at once , i confirm the issue !
just a blank screen
i raised joomla error reporting to maximum , checked again , nothing.
even checked the blank page source code , nothing again.

sherif
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sherif » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:30 pm

update

tested on local host XAMPP on windows XP
same results
tested right now on a live site , same result.
best regards

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:39 pm

those who are following this (techies and non) if you try this on 1.5.15 can you post your results, if it does NOT work then please put your basic server details so that we can work out where its not working

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:11 pm

I do confirm the issue.

This is a result with 1.5.14 on same environment

Diagnostic Information
configuration.php: Writable (Mode: 666 ) | RG_EMULATION: N/A
Architecture/Platform: Darwin 8.11.0 ( Power Macintosh) | Web Server: Apache/1.3.41 (Darwin) PHP/5.2.4|
PHP Version: 5.2.4
MySQL Version: 5.0.83 ( Localhost via UNIX socket )
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

leemarquis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by leemarquis » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:36 pm

I just get a blank page when I load www.mysite.com/joomladirectory/jtspost_en.php ?

PhilD
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by PhilD » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:08 am

It does not appear to be php version related. tried with php 5.2.8 (XAMPP) and 5.2.11 (1&1).

It has something to do with the following area of code block.

// BEGIN JOOMLA VERSION CHECKING
	// Check for J! v1.0 version file
	if (file_exists( './includes/version.php' )) {
		@require_once( './includes/version.php' );

$link = @mysql_connect('localhost', $mosConfig_user, $mosConfig_password);
		$sqlErr = mysql_errno();

if ((!$link) && (function_exists( 'mysqli_connect' ))) {
			$link = @mysqli_connect('localhost', $mosConfig_user, $mosConfig_password);
			$sqlErr = mysqli_connect_errno();
			}

// It's Joomla! 1.0
		$isJVER         = "10";

$_VERSION 		= new joomlaVersion();
//		$versioninfo 	= $_VERSION->RELEASE .'.'. $_VERSION->DEV_LEVEL .' '. $_VERSION->DEV_STATUS;
		$version 		= $_VERSION->PRODUCT .' '. $_VERSION->RELEASE .'.'. $_VERSION->DEV_LEVEL .' '. $_VERSION->DEV_STATUS.' [ '.$_VERSION->CODENAME .' ] '. $_VERSION->RELDATE .' '. $_VERSION->RELTIME .' '. $_VERSION->RELTZ;

//		$thisVersion    = $_VERSION->RELEASE .'.'. $_VERSION->DEV_LEVEL;
//		$thisDevLevel   = $_VERSION->DEV_LEVEL;

// Check for J! v1.5 version file
		} else if (file_exists( './libraries/joomla/version.php' )) {  
			@require_once( './libraries/joomla/version.php' );

define('JPATH_BASE', dirname(__FILE__) );
			define( 'DS', DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR );

require_once ( JPATH_BASE .DS.'includes'.DS.'defines.php' );
			require_once ( JPATH_BASE .DS.'includes'.DS.'framework.php' );

// Not sure this is required, MySQL "get" commands work fine for me, but not for some without it....
			$mainframe =& JFactory::getApplication('site');

// It's Joomla! 1.5		
			$isJVER         	= "15";

$_VERSION 		= new JVersion();
//			$versioninfo 	= $_VERSION->RELEASE .'.'. $_VERSION->DEV_LEVEL .' '. $_VERSION->DEV_STATUS;
			$version 		= $_VERSION->PRODUCT .' '. $_VERSION->RELEASE .'.'. $_VERSION->DEV_LEVEL .' '. $_VERSION->DEV_STATUS.' [ '.$_VERSION->CODENAME .' ] '. $_VERSION->RELDATE .' '. $_VERSION->RELTIME .' '. $_VERSION->RELTZ;

//			$thisVersion    = $_VERSION->RELEASE .'.'. $_VERSION->DEV_LEVEL;
//			$thisDevLevel   = $_VERSION->DEV_LEVEL;

$_JCONFIG		= new JConfig();
			$jts_ftp		= $_JCONFIG->ftp_enable;
			$jts_sef		= $_JCONFIG->sef;
			$jts_sef_rewrite= $_JCONFIG->sef_rewrite;

// Otherwise, assume J! is not installed and the user is doing Pre-Installation check, or a bad/incomplete FTP upload has occured
			} else if ((@$isJVER != "10") && (@$isJVER != "15")) {

// Set isJVER to Pre-Install (PI) to force Pre-Install Check otpions only
				$isJVER			= "unknownVer";

}

// END JTS CONFIGURATION AND SETUP
If the line under // Check for J! v1.5 version file (line 73) which is:

@require_once( './includes/version.php' );
is removed then the program works again.

At least I tested this on both XAMPP (php 5.2.8 ) and a 1&1 server (php 5.2.11) I have access to.
PhilD

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:44 am

The issue comes from a change in version.php
Was added in 1.5.15

defined('JPATH_BASE') or die();
changing this to

defined( '_JEXEC' ) or die( 'Restricted access' );
solves the issue.

In the mean while this should do it in the fts script:

// Check for J! v1.5 version file
      } else if (file_exists( './libraries/joomla/version.php' )) { 
         define('JPATH_BASE', dirname(__FILE__) );
         define( 'DS', DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR );
         @require_once( JPATH_BASE .DS.'libraries'.DS.'joomla'.DS.'version.php' );   

require_once ( JPATH_BASE .DS.'includes'.DS.'defines.php' );
         require_once ( JPATH_BASE .DS.'includes'.DS.'framework.php' );
etc.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

sherif
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by sherif » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:47 pm

I've tried the modification mentioned in the previous post

@require_once( JPATH_BASE .DS.'libraries'.DS.'joomla'.DS.'version.php' );
now it is working fine
Thanks JM

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:53 am

using the philD amendments for speed i have tested this on 1.5.15 and am uploading the zip file

to N6REJ could you look at this file and make you r adjustments for the hostname switch?

edit removed file for double checking!
edit 2 added correct zip file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”