Margin Image Background

If you have any 'mechanical' forum or Joomla! sites related issues/suggestions with forum.joomla.org.
WcedaBrennon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Margin Image Background

Post by WcedaBrennon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:32 pm

What I want to do, is place the our company's logo into the background of the website. Specifically, I would like it to float on the left and right margins outside fo the page itself. I realize that I must modify the CSS files but I have never done that before, and need some guidance here. Can anyone help me out?

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Margin Image Background

Post by aemiller » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:26 pm

In your template add a <div class="left-background right-background">. In your css file you would add .left-background {background:url("../images/company-logo.jpg"); margin-left:-200px} and .right-background {background:url("../images/company-logo.jpg"); margin-right:-200px}. Of course you can adjust the margins to fit the width of your logo.

WcedaBrennon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by WcedaBrennon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:44 pm

So the first portion goes into the template css file, but which one to i pute the ladder portion into? I put the code into several different places a few way but the bottom line is no result what so ever. Another forum I read about this said that I needed to modify the background css file but it does not seem to exist in 1.7.

Here is the site I wish to modify. The logo on the top is the one that will follow the left and right margins up and down.
http://www.walworthbusiness.com/

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:10 pm

No, the <div> gets placed just inside your <body> tag and the </div> will go just before the </body> tag of the index.php file of your template.

This is the code that goes in your template.css file.

Code: Select all

.left-background {background:url("../images/company-logo.jpg"); margin-left:-200px}
.right-background {background:url("../images/company-logo.jpg"); margin-right:-200px}

talks44
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by talks44 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:35 pm

If what aemiller said doesn't do what you want or you get stuck again, let us know and possibly post a link. It'd be easier to help you that way

WcedaBrennon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by WcedaBrennon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:54 pm

Well, trying to do what aemiller said, I ended up busting the website. To be honest I am pretty new to the actual code side of Joomla. My boss usually covers that side, and he is on vacation for a week so I fear busting the site without anyone to fix it. So it will be about a week before I can try anything again. I have to assume that I ended up placing the code in the wrong files though.

The website we are working on is: https://www.walworthbusiness.com/

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:08 pm

I'm embarrassed. :-[

Yes, I have done something similar to what you are requesting, but apparently my memory isn't quite what it should be. I'm tinkering with the code and hope to have something to post before too long.

If anyone else has a solution, please feel free to post.

aemiller
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by aemiller » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:52 am

Let’s try this again.

First crop your logo to an appropriate size. I would suggest something like 357px x 125px. Put that cropped logo into your template/images directory.

Then in your css file add a new element for

body {background:url("../images/logo-cropped.png") #fff}

You will also need to add a
background:#fff element to your gkWrap1 div.

I have attached a screen shot that shows the results. I hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WcedaBrennon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by WcedaBrennon » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Cool beans. I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens. Thank you.

Return to “Sites & Infrastructure - Feedback/Information”