[Unofficial] Vote Count: GPL vs. LGPL for Framework

This board is for discussions about joomla.org blog posts.
AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: [Unofficial] Vote Count: GPL vs. LGPL for Framework

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:08 pm

Please remove my name from this list. Allow OSM to manage their own feedback. As Brian indicated above, this useless as it is not a vote. It has potential to confuse people, unnecessarily and I want no part of it.

NivF007
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by NivF007 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:39 pm

I will remove your name and that will be reflected in the next update.

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:22 am

FYI, I also consider that counting the forum posts pro or against LGPL has no value at all.
What is important are the reasons expressed pro and against to help OSM take a decision.

Let me also add that whatever the decision taken, I will go on helping the CMS as much as I can with the various hats I wear and will welcome any interesting new/improved code provided to make it better and better.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

NivF007
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by NivF007 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:48 am

infograf768 wrote:FYI, I also consider that counting the forum posts pro or against LGPL has no value at all.
What is important are the reasons expressed pro and against to help OSM take a decision.

Let me also add that whatever the decision taken, I will go on helping the CMS as much as I can with the various hats I wear and will welcome any interesting new/improved code provided to make it better and better.
Hi Jean-Marie,

Thank you for expressing your view. Along with so many others, both you and I responded to thread with either a +1 LGPL or + 1GPL (or similar).

To quote one of your posts

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 1#p3141641
infograf768 wrote:++
NO LGPL
I agree totally with Brian, as I stated already in the former discussions.
I found it impossible to keep track, quantify, or to identify the utility in those types of posts (and there were lots) if we didn't keep some sort of tally.

The tally, which has usernames, allows us to quickly determine how many people expressed a +LGPL or +GPL view, along with whom amongst our peers have taken a position in the thread.

As you are aware, many of those posts have come without arguments - (although I agree with you that arguments are important).

I'm not sure how that is feasible otherwise, or the utility of posts of the + (L)GPL variety altogether without some method of keeping track - lest those posts are just to be ignored altogether.

However, I do not wish to include anybody in that tally does not wish to be included.

If it is your wish not to be included, kindly let me know and I would certainly honour it.

Please do so before 11:59pm E.S.T. March 7 as that is the cut-off for the final tally.

Warmest regards,

Niv

Return to “Community Blog Discussions”