Google GSOC 2015 not for Joomla this year...:(

This board is for discussions about joomla.org blog posts.
darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Google GSOC 2015 not for Joomla this year...:(

Post by darb » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:22 am

Hi

I see this announcement from Chad Windnagle http://community.joomla.org/blogs/commu ... -2015.html and want us to discuss it here.

One question: this meant that also Wordpress and Drupal didnt get their GSOC 2015 support for projects this year?

rgds

deleted user

Re: Google GSOC 2015 not for Joomla this year...:(

Post by deleted user » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Drupal was accepted, WordPress wasn't. Full list is at https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org ... e/gsoc2015

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:59 pm

mbabker wrote:Drupal was accepted, WordPress wasn't. Full list is at https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org ... e/gsoc2015
maybe bcs the Google teachies use Drupal then..all is politics. Doing good for your own best...

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:19 pm

I'm sure that's the exact reason...

Point blank, we were the victim of GSoC cutbacks. They accepted less organizations this year and tried to include more new organizations. Given last year's 190 accepted and this year's 137, with 37 new organizations, that left 100 slots open to programs that presumably were selected last year. 100/190 is almost a 50-50 chance. As the saying goes, stuff happens.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Well....I am disappointed that Joomla community dont take seriously about being continuously targeting the University world and engage with a so important event like the GSOC. If you look at Drupal they have their own group page https://groups.drupal.org/google-summer-code.

Where is the GSOC on Joomla main page?
Where is the GSOC forum page?
Where is the follow up on previous GSOCs, the results etc see Drupal examples?
Who coordinate and who to contact etc?

I have asked this so many times and there is no attention from Joomla on these students, contribution and GSOC. Why cant we be on the same page as Drupal?

How should a student when he comes to Joomla.org understand where to look and get a feeling that Joomla want/need him (for GSOC)..?

Dont Joomla people understand that this is the future of Joomla developers??

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:17 pm

Comparing Drupal and Joomla approaches isn't going to get you anywhere around here. Two completely different organizations with two completely different management structures. Just because Drupal, or WordPress, do something a certain way does not mean that we must do it the same.

No, there isn't a special landing page just for GSoC. We do have an ideas page published every year on the docs site for community contributions.

No, there isn't a forum section on this forum. We have used a Google Group every year since 2012 and there have been no issues with that. It is a public list.

Can the follow up be improved upon? Sure. What do you have in mind specifically?

How does a student get a feel for their contributions being wanted through programs like GSoC? Like I mentioned elsewhere, utilizing the GSoC dashboard as a starting point just to find out what programs are participating. Following the links posted there, one would find their way to our ideas list, mailing list, and blog posts (posted on the community site by the organizers and to the magazine by students) to get a feel for the types of projects and commitments they'll need based on previous years of support. There isn't a huge placard on the joomla.org homepage, nor should there be (show me where there's something similar on Drupal's site, BTW there is no GSoC mention on their homepage).

If you're interested in supporting marketing campaigns and outreach, contact that team. joomla.org/contribute puts you in touch with the right people.

Return to “Community Blog Discussions”